kablam0r

Does this seem high for POE cam installation?

Hello,

I've got a guy bidding to setup 2 external POE cams for me and to terminate 6 Ethernet jacks. We are in the middle of a remodel, so the inside studs are exposed, the one cable run he needs to do wouldn't be too hard.

Without having much detail (cam and NVR specs) from him, the price seems really high. I do have to admit that I have never priced out a security cams and NVRs.

He's saying $750 for labor, supplies, etc and $375 for each POE cam and $1500 for the NVR. I have asked for the specs, on the cam and NVR so I can shop him, however I haven't heard back yet. That seems pretty steep!

I'm not 100% sold on the NVR considering I already have a Synology NAS on the network and a switch that supports POE.

I'll post the cam and NVR details from the bid, once I get them.

Thanks!

-Bryan

Denver, CO

At that price, it would probably even be worth it for me to send someone from Spain to do the job for you.

That should give you a hint on if he is charging a bit too much... But you would need to know what cameras and NVR he is planning to use to know for sure.

@ $375 for the camera they would want to be quality 3Mp or so

$1500 for the NVR seems remarkably expensive since you are only having 2 cameras

Labour doesn't seem too over the top

Ok, here's the updated pricing which seems a bit better (still high) on gear than what he was previously telling me. The original #s were totals, I guess, which he didn't explain in his initial pricing.

HikVision DS2CD2132FI4MM 3MP Outdoor Dome Camera 2 $189.99 $379.98

HikVision DS7604NIE14P1TB 1 TeraByte Network Video Recorder 1 $449.99 $449.99

Legrand CE-1410 In-wall, Low-Volt Enclosure 1 $49.99 $49.99

Legrand AC-1014 Cat5E Patch Module 1 $79.99 $79.99

Legrand 363915-01 8 Port Coax Patch Module 1 $39.99 $39.99

Misc Parts & Materials 1 $75.00 $75.00

Labor to Install Cameras, Terminate New & Existing Cabling, & 8 Hours $85.00 $680.00

Relocate Existing Cabling

The total was $1844 and some change.

Thoughts?

Ok, here's the updated pricing which seems a bit better (still high) on gear than what he was previously telling me. The original #s were totals, I guess, which he didn't explain in his initial pricing.

HikVision DS2CD2132FI4MM 3MP Outdoor Dome Camera 2 $189.99 $379.98

HikVision DS7604NIE14P1TB 1 TeraByte Network Video Recorder 1 $449.99 $449.99

Legrand CE-1410 In-wall, Low-Volt Enclosure 1 $49.99 $49.99

Legrand AC-1014 Cat5E Patch Module 1 $79.99 $79.99

Legrand 363915-01 8 Port Coax Patch Module 1 $39.99 $39.99

Misc Parts & Materials 1 $75.00 $75.00

Labor to Install Cameras, Terminate New & Existing Cabling, & 8 Hours $85.00 $680.00

Relocate Existing Cabling

The total was $1844 and some change.

Thoughts?

The rate is good. Can you get the parts for less, sure. That is irrelevant though. When you get your car serviced they charge more for the parts as well. The guy needs to make some money somewhere. Will you expect him to come by and warranty the install if something is not working properly? Yes.

Your other option is to hire someone to run the cable and do it all yourself if you are comfortable and know what you are doing. If not, leave it to someone who does.

Confirm that the cameras and NVR are US region and fully upgradeable in the future.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

I'm comfortable maintaining the gear aside from the actual cable runs and connections.

I'm meeting him tomorrow at the house so I'll talk to him about service after the install and make sure this is all US gear.