Sign in to follow this  
rory

Custom Explorer Shells

Anyone else using their own Windows Shell on their DVRs ..?

If so which type ..?

Or custom built from scratch //

thanks

Rory

What kind of shells are you trying out Rory?

Are you experimenting with some?

Curious as always.

blackbox right now, it works well for what Im doing, totally customizable and installable with the command line also .. this way it takes over from when windows Loads so you see nothing .. its like a custom OS ..

Now, i want to do my own .. course its still windows ... another question, whats the legal stand on custom shells ..?

I also load my own desktop wallpaper and a program that loads which has the wallpaper included also .. then loads the full screen software im working on .. when you exit this program all you get is the wall paper with my logo, and you can right click to start the program, or exit windows ..

Legality issue I don't know about for sure so I don't want to comment.

I would think it would be OK, but don't know for sure. Customizing something for your own purposes is a good thing to be able to do for your own personal touch to the product your putting out or how you like your system to operate.

Do you have a link? I think I found it. Just want to make sure. I might try it out if it sound interesting.

http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/

whats cool is you can set it up then just copy the files, no installation is required.

Also comes with an SDK and source code for total customisation by the looks of it .. ill have to look at that some more ..

not quite the customized Windows XP embedded Shell I wanted but hey ..

only little annoying thing is when you shut down windows or anything like that, it has its name as the title of the window .. but i guess that can be taken out with the SDK ..

PS Jasper where yah been

You never see windows at all and you can totally customize it to your needs.

Keylock is just a program using low level hooks to disable the task bar, the start menu, and Ctl-alt-Del - Did this myself easily but not what I wanted.

A Shell replaces Explorer.exe totally.

Shells are legal. Considering MS put in the APIs to do them, and published the APIs in thier SDKs....I don't think they are stressing over it.

Cool .. thats what I figured too ..

Still working on it... . so far so good.