Sign in to follow this  
txcctv

Anyone help with a system that's in the business I purchased

Hello everyone. I'm relieved to have found this forum, as I've been searching high and low for help with my system, hopefully one of you can help me out.

I recently purchased a business that has 8 cameras and a dedicated DVR and power supply for all of them. Pictures of the system can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/IJAoH

1 (channel 1) of the 8 cameras is displaying a blue screen that says "video loss". I also noted that the LEDs on the camera that I'm having problems with, channel 1, are not lighting up, like all of the other cameras. Today I tried to trouble shoot it by doing the following:

--1: I switched the cameras from channel 1 and channel 2. The camera from channel 1 worked when it was plugged in at the channel 2 location without any problems, the LEDs turned on as well. The camera that was at channel 2 did NOT work (nor did the LEDs turn on) when it was plugged in to the channel 1 location.

--2: I went to the power supply, I switched the power leads from camera 1 to 2 and from 2 to 1. This did nothing to improve my situation, just like above.

--3: On the back of the DVR, I switched the BNC connectors to see if I could get a signal in a different port on the back, to no avail. The other BNC connectors/cameras worked in channel 1, but channel 1 would not work in any of the other ports.

--4: I checked the power output at the power supply and each output is giving me 12V.

--5: I checked the power input at the cameras of channel 1 and channel 2. Both of them are getting 12V.

--6: I wiggled the BNC connectors at the camera and at the DVR.

The screen is still blue and displaying "video loss" on channel 1, while the 7 other channels are working fine.

With my limited knowledge (read absolutely no idea what I'm doing here) I would assume that there is something wrong with the video cable somewhere, but like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing here.

The power seems fine at location 1, but the LEDs don't come on and this doesn't make sense to me. Does the the video cable connection have anything to do with turning on the LEDs? The camera that I'm having problems with *is* the furthest away from the DVR and power system, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it? I don't know the distance at this point, I'd have to wait until tomorrow to estimate it for you guys.

Do any of you have any thoughts on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

If you have a power supply that is common to camera 1 and other cameras, disconnect the PS from the other cameras and see if camera 1 is working. If camera 1 is working now, the PS is too small to handle all the load and the camera with the longest run would be the first to see too low of voltage. If so add a bigger PS or another to power just camera 1.

If there is no difference in camera 1, take a power supply to the camera 1 location and plug directly into the camera. This should work if the camera worked at the location of camera 2. I assume that camera 1 will begin working – so you have either a bad cable or way too long of a run. In either case – do one of the following: locate a PS at the camera location or replace the cable. How long is the cable run and how many watts (or mA) does the camera use?

Hey do I was able to run through the first suggestion you had. It still didn't work. I unplugged all power leads from the power supply then plugged each one back in with only one at a time. Every camera worked but that blasted camera 1.

I walked off the distance, so I'm thinking we are at roughly 120' give or take some depending on how the cable was run in ceiling.

I don't have an individual power supply to plug in somewhere and try the camera. Do you guys know where I could find one for that for my camera specifically?

I spoke with one of the employees that has been there since the cameras were initially installed. She said it worked for "a while" then never worked again. Why they didn't address it years ago is beyond me. Now I'm here to pick up the pieces.

How would I tell how many watts the camera uses?

Thanks again!

The cablrs sheathing has the follwing printed on it: CCTV combo RG59/U white 95% copper (along with a lot number and the #of feet.

If you have a power supply that is common to camera 1 and other cameras, disconnect the PS from the other cameras and see if camera 1 is working. If camera 1 is working now, the PS is too small to handle all the load and the camera with the longest run would be the first to see too low of voltage. If so add a bigger PS or another to power just camera 1.

If there is no difference in camera 1, take a power supply to the camera 1 location and plug directly into the camera. This should work if the camera worked at the location of camera 2. I assume that camera 1 will begin working – so you have either a bad cable or way too long of a run. In either case – do one of the following: locate a PS at the camera location or replace the cable. How long is the cable run and how many watts (or mA) does the camera use?

Most analog cameras (NTSC or PAL) have no troubles up to 150 meter distance, even with bad quality cables. So you are saved a point to count. Power seems to be the cause. DC power does not go long distance and needs a power cable of a larger diameter for sending more watts. Get the localized power source for remote cameras outside. Best save is to bring a local CCTV installer.

Can you take the power supply from your current location and using extension cord power up camera 1? If not, eBay and Amazon sell a 12v plug in AC to DC power supply for less than $10.

As far as camera power requirements, there should be a sticker somewhere on the camera that at least gives a model number. From there you can lookup specs.

I believe this is the camera you have http://www.ivigilcctv.net/specsh/TD20_TD22HP_TD21.pdf

Based on the spec sheet it draws 390ma max. Assuming the cable installed for power is 18AWG (you will need to check this) the maximum rated distance from the power supply is calculated below.

Distance Calculator

Power Supply Output Voltage

12 volts

Camera Minimum Operating Voltage (+/- 10% is what your camera is rated)

10.8 volts

Camera Current Consumption

390 milliamps

Camera Power Consumption

4.2 watts

Number of Power Wire Pairs

1 pairs

Loop Resistance for 1 pair

42.4 ohms

Wire Gauge

18 AWG

Maximum Wire Temperature

122° F

50° C

Maximum Distance

185 feet (power supply to camera)

56 meters

Battery calcs above taken from http://www.nvt.com/ showing the max distance this camera should be. Your problems described very much sound like a power issue. Remember is it not just the "as the crow flies" distance to your camera, its the total length of the cable including the "up, down and around" route your cable was installed.

As mentioned by others, any plug in transformer/power supply that gives you 12vdc and at least 500ma plugged in closer to the camera should resolve the issue. Alternatively, you can run a larger power cable from the power supply out to the camera. If you decide to expand or upgrade this system in the future, reach out to a local professional. They will design the system to account for these types of issues.

Hope this helps-

Jesse