rustybc

New ground-up system - Need recommendations / opinion

I am looking for advice / opinions on creating a surveillance system from the ground up...

Here is my situation:

- Want to keep cameras on the potential entry-points of my property as well as the structure perimeter (residential):

- outside of structure could be wired PoE (reasonably straightforward and not too difficult)

- south and east fences are ~60 feet from structure, past trees & pool (and multiple other large pieces of concrete). Running 15A power is possible, through a bit of a challenge, PoE is likely not possible without major issues. Ideally 2 cameras to cover both runs of fence which are out of view from structure.

- Driveway entrance is 50' from structure down a hill. Line-of-sight from top of structure. PoE is possible with significant trenching down hillside, but impeded by paver walkway and perimeter foundation (could route through vent if necessary)

Here are my questions:

- What 'system' should I have as a base? I see lots of negative (mostly 2-3 years old) reviews of Lorex, Swann, Q-See "Costco" systems, but I also have read a lot of articles that seem to lead me to believe there is a good population of happy customers. I want mobile access, and zone-based motion alerting via email or sms, and a total of probably 8-12 cameras. Can / should one of these systems be a base, or to include 2-4 wireless cameras will I need to look elsewhere (and if so, where)?

- For the perimeter cameras - Is wireless a reasonable option, and if so, are there any "prosumer" solar/wireless cameras that will connect to a base system recommended or am I going to have run some wire of some kind? Only things I have found thus fare are commercial types of solutions in the 1000's.

Thanks,

Rusty

Thanks Ariel,

I'm in Northern California / SF Bay Area.

I assumed I would go with IP, since I have to span a pool and large concrete slab and will likely need wireless for at least for 2 cameras.

I definitely want motion detection on all. When you refer to popular brands, does that include the Lorex, Q-see, etc's or something else like Axis?

Any thoughts on solar powered wifi for the cameras on the fence perimeter?

Thanks again,

Rusty

Hi Rusty,

First you need to decide on what number of cameras on which you need Motion detection

Scene 1: You require motion detection on all cameras

In this case you need to opt for a complete IP solution as Analog Cameras cannot support intelligent video analytics. So you need to buy all IP cameras and NVR

Scene 2 : You need motion detection on few Cameras

In this case you can go for HVR along with Few IP cameras( on which you need motion detection) and others can be analog. But remember, you wont be able to configure video analytics on those in future, however some brand devices offer an option yo install all IP cameras if you wish to switch to IP in future. An HVR supports analog as well as IP cameras.

All popular brands will suffice your requirements, but if you want email notification, opt for Matrix HVR/NVR as they offer email notification with snapshot. Pls mention your location so that i can suggest you better brands if any.

Regards,

Ariel

In this case you need to opt for a complete IP solution as Analog Cameras cannot support intelligent video analytics. So you need to buy all IP cameras and NVR

If your going to spam your products do your homework ...... Analytics is also on analog

All popular brands will suffice your requirements, but if you want email notification, opt for Matrix HVR/NVR as they offer email notification with snapshot. Pls mention your location so that i can suggest you better brands if any.

Email notification is nothing new most systems for past 10 years have this function and with video not basic snapshot

But going to your site and looking at the specs .... Your 16 way can only run 1.3mp on each which is old

I also see your in India that is going to make support expensive .

I am looking for advice / opinions on creating a surveillance system from the ground up...

Here is my situation:

- Want to keep cameras on the potential entry-points of my property as well as the structure perimeter (residential):

- outside of structure could be wired PoE (reasonably straightforward and not too difficult)

- south and east fences are ~60 feet from structure, past trees & pool (and multiple other large pieces of concrete). Running 15A power is possible, through a bit of a challenge, PoE is likely not possible without major issues. Ideally 2 cameras to cover both runs of fence which are out of view from structure.

- Driveway entrance is 50' from structure down a hill. Line-of-sight from top of structure. PoE is possible with significant trenching down hillside, but impeded by paver walkway and perimeter foundation (could route through vent if necessary)

Here are my questions:

- What 'system' should I have as a base? I see lots of negative (mostly 2-3 years old) reviews of Lorex, Swann, Q-See "Costco" systems, but I also have read a lot of articles that seem to lead me to believe there is a good population of happy customers. I want mobile access, and zone-based motion alerting via email or sms, and a total of probably 8-12 cameras. Can / should one of these systems be a base, or to include 2-4 wireless cameras will I need to look elsewhere (and if so, where)?

- For the perimeter cameras - Is wireless a reasonable option, and if so, are there any "prosumer" solar/wireless cameras that will connect to a base system recommended or am I going to have run some wire of some kind? Only things I have found thus fare are commercial types of solutions in the 1000's.

Thanks,

Rusty

Hi. If you can run cables that is your best option

All your links are good options but go IP

What is your budget ?

Thanks!

Hi. If you can run cables that is your best option

I can run cables for most... though the fence-line and driveway will be difficult at best...

All your links are good options but go IP

Will do. By links you mean Lorex, etc?

What is your budget ?

~$1-2k to get started... probably more to add on if I can get wireless addons for the fence perimeter, and may want to add thermal if its reasonably affordable (would be cool to see through the trees to detect bobcats and mountain lions). Total surveillance I expect not to exceed 12-14 cameras.

My concern right now I guess is getting the right base system that gives me the mobile connectivity and alerting, and allow for future expansion or integration with something like Smartthings or my alarm system.

Thanks again,

Rusty