Sign in to follow this  
bbq ribs

Suggestions, Package bundle or Single pieces

Hello,

I am very new to Surveillance Systems and hope someone can clear up a few things I am not sure about.

I am looking to set up 3 or 4 outside cameras around my single story residence (1200 sq ft).

If my reading the last few days is correct, I have eliminated analog for being too poor quality and wireless as possibly not being to reliable.

So I am looking at a HD IP POE system with a min of 1080p.

Although min quality I want is 1080 I will probably have at least 1 or 2 of the 3/4 cameras as 4mp

Looking at most of the packages it seems that the 4mp NVRs are the 16 channel variety with

way more camera's than I need, It is recommended to get a 4mp NVR Correct if I have 4mp camera's?

Would I be better off finding single pieces, or is there a package that I missed?

My budget is around 1500.00

I was looking at the Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-EZ/8p which I have seen on Ebay for 250 (without HD)

Not too sure what is involved with setting up this system without having an existing HD though?

I am pretty sure cameras are interchangeable between brands as long as they are the correct style

I do like the bubble style as it does not show the camera pointing in a specific direction.

However I am still researching the Pro/Cons for bubble and bullet styles.

So I guess my main question is, am I going down the right road

Thank you

Hey bbq_ribs,, that is a good question and I struggled with that very question late last year. Mind you I am not an expert but I can share some thoughts.

First off, the stuff coming from overseas (essentially all of it) is relatively easy to setup, but hard to diagnose & configure all the bells and whistles. The documentation is garbage. The website or google rarely is much help. The online phone support is hit and miss.

I would recommend if you do get the items separate, buy the same brand. I have 4 of the reolink 1080p cameras and a GW (great wall) Security NVR, and recently added 4 more 2mp GW cameras (non PTZ - pivot/tilt/zoom). The cameras work well with the NVR camera setup, but not so good on the GW Security camera app.. Vice versa, the reolink cameras work well on their app, but I cannot get the GW cameras to work with that app

But overall, it is nothing fancy but it works well. I have 8 cameras, a 4 tb harddrive. Have the 4 primary cameras set to record 24/7 - I get about 2.5 weeks of recording, constantly cycling the oldest of files. One of my current questions is how can I set them to identify the motion, the manual is trash and I've tried to get through tto support,,I call them they tell me they will call me back, then I get a phone call at 10pm when I am in bed. Either way, you should be able to get the system up and working and have 1080p cameras, but then fine tuning it will take some trial and error.

Here is one package on Amazon, mind me I don't claim to be an expert but I see no one replied to your question.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011684YI8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I installed this NVR, with my own POE switch and 4 reolink cameras, I've since added 4 of the GW Security cameras and the image is bit better and easier to configure).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA46G2CA2687&cm_re=GW_Security_NVR-_-9SIA46G2CA2687-_-Product

I would imagine this is a cheaper brand, but the cameras and NVR seem well built, I have two bays for hard drives and you simply slide them in and they work. The cameras are adjustable and have very good resolution both in day and at night. I ran Cat6 and my furthest camera is about 300 ft from the router and the clarity is outstanding

Once you get it setup, you can either control it through the HDMI port (TV) & and mouse on the back of the NVR... or simply use the IP address of the NVR (when your on your home router) and configure it from another computer using your web browser.

Once you get it setup, you can either control it through the HDMI port (TV) & and mouse on the back of the NVR... or simply use the IP address of the NVR (when your on your home router) and configure it from another computer using your web browser.

Terrance, thank you very much, this was actually my next question, I would want to put the NVR in the attic or somewhere similar and just control via a browser,not sure how excessive dust will affect the unit though.

Most of my recording, if not all, will be by motion only.

I have since learned that non HD units are common and installing HD's are pretty basic.

I am not sure if I am brand loyal yet as it seems as everything comes from China and everyone rebrands everything..trying to figure this out is almost half the battle.

I agree keeping the same brand name between unit and camera will probably keep things simple.

One other option is buy a unit with excessive camera's and sell the them to offset the price.

Unfortunately I am in the group of folks who come here after an incident and am in a speed read mode trying to figure things out quickly.

I am kinda rambling but, I thank you very much for your input as the total amount of knowledge here is a bit overwhelming and my eagerness to purchase a system is only delayed by the constant information I keep reading.

Thanks again

I am still learning, but after reading more on this forum, it seems (like most everything) there is a high tier (commercial grade stuff) like Axis,, then there is mid range, and low range. I started with the low range because it was cheap. My entire 16 channel system was about $1500 after wire, connectors, good crimper, etc.

That includes a 16 channel NVR ($375 newegg). I bought a 4 tb segate surveillance HD ($135 newegg). I have a 4 port POE switch ($50 on amazon) and an 8 port POE switch (one for out building and the other for inside house),, 8 port was about $100. I have 8 lower end, 2mp stationary bullet cameras ($75 each). The cat5e was about $175 for 1000 feet and the RJ45 crimps (the ones you can slide the individual wires through) $30 for 50 or so,, the good crimiper was about $50 (I like tools).

Needless to say, I have a good starter system. I assume it will last 5+ years, maybe the elements, certainly technology will limit their age. But it does what I need it to do. Watch the property, record motions. Alert me of visitors. When i am on the road I can proxy into my home computer, and view all the cameras.