Sign in to follow this  
c2h5oh

Animal alert camera system

Hi

I would like to have a system that will detect and alert me of any moving object, preferably the size of cat to moose on a limited area. It needs to be reliable and work at night. I have power and ethernet cable. Distance to monitoring surface is about 50-80 meters and I think 8-12mm lens would be best? I can handle router set ups and am looking for a IP camera. It need to alert and wake me on my android phone at night. Camera will be mounted high up on house, just under the roof.

I think a 3mp camera with zoom lens and external IR-illuminator is what I need? Also, motion detection can be made in some apps like Androids IP-webcam, but solutions like Hikvisions different motion alert is preferable?

Budget is about 100 dollars, can anyone suggest a suitable camera and illuminator?

Thanks alot!

I cant image you'll be able to accomplish all this for anywhere near $100. A long distance IR is going to be around $100. Also motion detection outdoors can be really tricky because you'll get so many false alarms from trees, grass, bushes blowing in the wind and changes in light to the landscape. Its def going to cost you more than $100 but you are on the right track with your thinking on equipment.