sattech2000

Preferred Video Delivery to Police? - My first bust, Yea!!!

Evening all, Great board!

I had my first bust on Sunday, what a great feeling being a do it yourselfer on this system. Group of people came in, one distracted our employee while the other two stole everything in her purse that was sitting behind the reception desk. Got em red handed, if only we can find a name behind the face’s. I exported the video from geovision 7.05 and gave it to the police along with snapshot pics, later I realized they wont be able to view the video without the Geovision Codec installed. So I’m curious what others have learned from experience is the best way to deliver the evidence to the police? I am almost thinking of taking that video and burning it as a video DVD, that way it will play in most dvd players and won’t be dependent on computers. Any thoughts or experience on the best way to do this is greatly appreciated.

Also when I did the AVI export from view log it looks like I’m loosing some quality, I set the export to the highest resolution. Any thoughts.

Thanks all

Randy

PS, Wanted to give a plug to the guy’s over at digital watchguard. Had a rough start with this system and they did a great job working with me pre-sale and then hooked me up with a great deal!!! System has been rock solid with the new card. Thanks a million digital watchguard!!!

Im not 100% sure but I believe the Export as EXe will make it play regardless.

Otherwise there is a program on my site called Geo Fix that you could unzip and burn to the CD also. If they cant see the video in Windows Media Player, they just have to click the "Install Codec" button in that program and it will install the codecs for them so they will then be able to see it. Doesnt install 8.0's Mpeg4 ASP or H.264 codecs.

An interesting FYI. I just loaded(yesterday) an xp machine. Loaded drivers and office only, no other programs. Did windows/office updates today.

First I opened the exported avi, as figured there was no video.

Next I opened the exported exe, took a few minutes to load, the video displayed as expected(I found it interesting that is was playing out of media player).

I got to thinking, went back to the avi and that played normally out of media player. So the exe must just load the codec up then play the video.

Are these two choice probably my best bet to give the the police? I still think there is some loss in quality vs what I see in view log, but I can't be sure on that.

When I do that export from view log that is still watermarked isn't it? I do have watermark enabled on the system.

An interesting FYI. I just loaded(yesterday) an xp machine. Loaded drivers and office only, no other programs. Did windows/office updates today.

First I opened the exported avi, as figured there was no video.

Next I opened the exported exe, took a few minutes to load, the video displayed as expected(I found it interesting that is was playing out of media player).

I got to thinking, went back to the avi and that played normally out of media player. So the exe must just load the codec up then play the video.

Are these two choice probably my best bet to give the the police? I still think there is some loss in quality vs what I see in view log, but I can't be sure on that.

When I do that export from view log that is still watermarked isn't it? I do have watermark enabled on the system.

Yes, shouldnt really be any loss of quality from the view log to this, though whenever something is compressed you can loose something. You can optionally just copy the original AVI to a CD and give them that. But you need a media player that can slow down and speed up better then Windows Media Player .. I have one i created but its not online yet.

yea the slow down and speed up drives me nuts in media player. Also the clips that you can't fast foreward at all...argh I hate that! I'm trying to remain as compatable as possible to the current standards. Later i'm gonna convert it to dvd and see how the quality is on a tv. I don't have high expectations but i've been surprised before.