Sign in to follow this  
mchlpeel

New system Newbie help

I posted this topic in the Residential general discussion which didnt seem to get a response so i reposted here.

Anyway........

I recently had the unfortunate pleasure of having my bike stolen from inside a carport on my property. Probably like most this is the catalyst for investing in CCTV.

I have seen one of these cameras that looks pretty good

DS-2CD2142FWD-I by Hikvision.

Its a 4MP camera and I think it has wireless???

I used a calculator to work out the required bandwidth. To operate 4 of the above cameras at max settings. Id need 80MB incoming bandwidth NVR.

Am i right in thinking this?

If so would one of these be sufficient? DS-7608 by Hikvision?

It might sound daft but do i need to run cat5 cable to the cameras? or is everything connected wirelessly via the Broadband router?

Obviously i would just have to run power to each camera but this would mean less wires trailing around / through the house.

That camera is not wireless. You will need to connect a cat5 cable from the NVR to each camera. This will provide power and data transmission. Wireless cameras do exist, but I wouldnt use unless there is just no way for you to run cat5. You don't need to worry about bandwidth for 4 cameras going straight to an NVR. the NVR you picked out looks fine. You can use up to 8 cameras with it.

Beware that cameras only record what has already happened. Even if you get a face or a license plate, your bike is already gone and you may never get it back. So my point is, cameras are no substitute for physical barriers like chains, bars, cables, etc.

There's a few submodels. (W) is the submodel with wireless.

Why shouldnt i use wireless cameras?

There's no should or shouldn't. It depends on your requirement and system design. You'll need to know the pro and cons as well.

Normally we won't use it unless there's no other way.

Wireless means that the the signal is transmitted wirelessly. Doesn't mean the camera required no cable at all.

Just take note that that nuclear batteries are not available in the market yet. You'll still need to run power cable to power up the camera.

(A lot of customers think that wireless means totally no cable )

If the power point is near the NVR, might as well run cable.

A typical wireless network range is up to around 35m with line of sight without any blockage.

Use some wifi scanner to checkout the numbers of wifi signal in your area. Depending on where you live, sometimes there are over 20-30 wireless network overlapping (at least we have it here in our densely populated city). 2.4Ghz only have 12-13 channels. Most cameras wifi doesn't support 5Ghz. So your wireless network might not be as good as you think it is to constantly stream a video feed without breaking.

Then of course the camera position must have a good connection to the wireless network. Otherwise you'll need to invest in additional networking equipment to extend the range and also ensure the stability of the wireless connection.

These are some of the consideration. Pretty sure everyone encountered situation where your phone/tablet/laptop lose connection and you'll need wait a while for it to get connection back. Sometimes you'll need to off and on the device/wifi setting for the device to get back the wifi connection. Now imagine that with your Wireless Camera.

From SI perspective, there are also other numerous consideration. That's why down here, no SI do wireless camera installation on a normal basis for normal cctv installation for home or small offices. Most people who install wireless cameras do it diy and know how to troubleshoot when problem occurs, e.g. customers change wireless router and they need to either match the new wireless router wireless setting to the existing cameras setting or vice verses, etc. Too much support issues for SI as there's a things that's beyond our control.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I understand id still need to run a power cable but these are a lot thinner than CAT5 ethernet. I intend to run the power out of a window and shut the window on the cable.

The reason for this is I rent where i live and want to minimise any evidence of the installation when i leave. I am even reluctant to drill for mounting the camera but i dont think there is another option.

In terms of WIFI strength there are not that many WIFI networks within range and I probably would only need a max range of 10M from the NVR. Its a new build house so the walls are made of paper so the signal shouldnt attenuate too much.

Am i right in thinking I can do this (provided i dont cut the power cable in the window) in each area of my house then connect them to my WIFI network. I then hardwire the NVR to my router for recording?

is this right?

Am i right in thinking I can do this (provided i dont cut the power cable in the window) in each area of my house then connect them to my WIFI network. I then hardwire the NVR to my router for recording?

is this right?

Sounds right.

Have fun installing.