Sign in to follow this  
jweaver

Hikvision HQHI box vs HGHI

I am in the market for a CCTV system and my spec (And budget) has increased over the last for weeks exponentially..

I was close to buying an AHD system, but I found the iPad app was poor, so to cut a long story short, I decided to bite the bullet and go Hikvision.

I still havnt' seen one in the flesh, but I am hoping that the front end software is nice and there are no missing or stupid features (like there was on the other box I was looking at).

Anyway, I am at the last stages before I buy.. I am certainly buying the DS-7208, but I am trying to decide between the HGHI or the HQHI.

The difference between the 2 appears to be:

1 vs 2 Hard-drives

Buttons on Face Plate (HQHI)

But the main difference is that the HGHI only does 1/2 frame rate at 1080P, where as the HQHI is full frame rate...

This to me seems a worthwhile upgrade and since its only an extra 30% more for the box, its seems like a no-brainer.

Has anyone got anything negative to say about the HQHI box (or Hikivision products in general)?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Jon

It all comes down to are you going to use 720P cameras or 1080P cameras.

If you are not going to use 1080P cameras, then just get HG.

If you are going to use all 1080P cameras, then get HQ.

If you are on budget and still want to go 1080P, 12-15fps (half frame rate) still give you a pretty smooth video. Used to set recording at 12-15fps previously when dvr are using older compression technique to reduce storage requirement. Now most DVR using h.264, setting it at half frame rate doesn't really give much saving in filesize anymore.

Just remember, although higher the resolution the better, it also means you got to cater larger storage to store the higher resolution video.

It all comes down to are you going to use 720P cameras or 1080P cameras.

If you are not going to use 1080P cameras, then just get HG.

If you are going to use all 1080P cameras, then get HQ.

If you are on budget and still want to go 1080P, 12-15fps (half frame rate) still give you a pretty smooth video. Used to set recording at 12-15fps previously when dvr are using older compression technique to reduce storage requirement. Now most DVR using h.264, setting it at half frame rate doesn't really give much saving in filesize anymore.

Just remember, although higher the resolution the better, it also means you got to cater larger storage to store the higher resolution video.

I hear you.. I am using 1080P cameras (Generic types with Sony CMOS sensors).

Since I only have 3TB and 6 cameras, I will need to be mindful of storage.. But I am not particularly tight on budget, and I would rather have the capability for an extra drive and a higher frame rate and not use it.. Than go cheap and want the extra functionality later and not have it.

At the end of the day, the price difference is negligable.. I was going to pay £110+VAT for the HGHI and have now been offered the HQHI for £129+VAT, so the price is almost the same.

My only question really is whether there is any downside to the HQHI.

Jon

Hi. If you have 8ip cameras none of your links will do as they are both limited to IP camera number ..... Why are you going tribrid if you have IP cameras

Hi. If you have 8ip cameras none of your links will do as they are both limited to IP camera number ..... Why are you going tribrid if you have IP cameras

I don't.. Where did I say I had IP cameras.. I am planning on using Generic Sony CMOS 1080P TVI cameras.

At the end of the day, the price difference is negligable.. I was going to pay £110+VAT for the HGHI and have now been offered the HQHI for £129+VAT, so the price is almost the same.

Go for HQHI!