MRWHITE35

Trying to set up e-mail alerts with geovion 7.05

I am trying to set up an e-mail alerts with 7.05 software but it constantly fails at the SMTP setting I have entered it correctly with one of my yahoo e-mail accounts, everything on the computer is configured correctly (as I can send and receive e-mails with MS outlook) but I cannot get it to work any ideas? All the correct ports are open on my router.

I didn't see it. And to be honest I don't do anything with Geovision but reading over your post, are you trying to use Yahoo as the SMTP server? Because Yahoo doesn't allow that at this time.

are you trying to use Yahoo as the SMTP server --------- Yes!!! thank you for clearing that up, but I'm surprised it doesn't work with Yahoo as i use Ms Outlook to pick up and send all my e-mails. Will it work with Ms Hotmail?

Outlook is using a differant protocol (usually POP3) to get that mail. And Outlook is not an SMTP server. I suggest pointing it at the address of your ISP's mail server.

POP3 allows for two way commication. Between client and server. SMTP is one way only. MS Outlook isn't designed to act as a mail server, it's client only. Just because you can send SMTP doesn't mean you can be sent it. When it asks for your SMTP server you should be using the one provided by your ISP.

What Thomas said, you need to specify the SMTP server of your ISP. If however the ISP doesnt block Port 25 and you have an SMTP server you can log into successfully then it should work.

Not sure if you are talking about yahoo mail or that ISP yahoo (?) .. i set up an email program recently for a US company which used a yahoo SMTP server but it was their ISP not mail.yahoo.com.

Most ISPs block port 25 now though so you should be using the ISP provided SMTP server.

yep that was the one .. sbc global . something yahoo .. it worked for my program ..

Thanks for all your help, it must be what you said, my ISP is AOL, looks like I'm going to have to install their software on my DVR, PC to get this up and running, one more quick question can I select which cameras I get alerts from? As I can't see anything in the settings.

I also had this problem and traced it to my ISP. Although I was using a mail server wchich comes with our company eMail, our ISP only allowed us to use them as outgoing mail server (Wanadoo/Orange) so if its them change to smtp.wanadoo.com as it wont work otherwise.

Hope this helps