Sign in to follow this  
Ohioscott

Hello All - Updating an existing Wired Lorex DVR System

I have an existing Lorex L14Q684C 8 camera system with a L154-81 DVR. The cameras work OK but the DVR doesn't seem to work at all and apparently never worked. My boss is looking for a replacement and would like to add a couple cameras as well. I'm thinking a 16 channel system with 8 cameras that allows me to use the existing cameras and also add a few... I'm also considering a wireless camera system but I have my reservations about IP cameras (mostly because I once bought a cheap one). My boss said he got a quote of $3000.00 but that's a little ridiculous in my opinion when I can just buy a $500 DVR unit and call it a day. A little background: This is a factory-type business and the boss wants to keep an eye on the employees and parking lot during the day and record activity with remote access at night. We only need basic surveillance (it's not like we're running a liquor store). Any thoughts would be appreciated... I tried to do some research online but it's all pretty choppy as far as what to believe. Thanks in advance.

Hi. If you look at replacing your dvr and adding more cameras you have to admit $500 budget your not going to do it.

You could stay all analog but you are wasting your bosses money only to have to upgrade later

Look at the lorex hybrid analog -cvi and IP recorder

Use your existing cameras and if need to replace an old analog later then it's just a camera change to a cvi over the same coax.

Using analog for a car park you will need a lot of them to get good coverage ...... IP cameras are better for that type of application and don't need as many

Thanks for the response!

Just to clarify: My budget is up to $3000. as long as it's a good investment but it doesn't need to be super-fancy. I would think that $1500 or less would do it but I honestly don't have a clue.

The parking lot is more of a strip of angle-in spaces next to the building and adding 1 more camera (pointing the other direction) will cover it completely.

You mentioned a hybrid system? Does that allow wired and wireless cameras? That sounds ideal!