Guest alopu

what if DVR hang up?

Many clients use DVR in unattended mode. They want to look at recordings only if something happen. But PC DVR can hang up (several days earlier). Anyone know solution how to inform by e-mail or station in LAN that DVR is not working? Need general solution for general DVR cards - not equipped with special manufacturers software like for example Helath Monitor in Kodicoms case. I seems to me it should be some active solution - some software sends ask to DVR several times per day - and if no answer - then information about that (probably DVR hang up).

Thanks in advance for any help

hi,

I don't know what your system setup includes,if it has "Alarm send email setup" feature,you can use it so that you can be reminded by email when there is an alarm occured.

You would want a program not running on the DVR as the whole DVR might hang .. basically yes it can be done fairly easily. The software would telnet to the DVR and if no resonse then it sends an email alert. For example GE has a small program for their Stand alones, called WaveWatch.

Another way to do it

get Host monitor software

Host Monitor can check any TCP service, ping a host, check a route, monitor Web, FTP, Mail, DNS servers. It can check the available disk space, monitor size of a file or folder, check integrity of your files and web site; it tests your SQL servers, monitors network traffic and much, much more.

in my case i set up such way that

it will sent message to my cell phone or email

Thanks a lot for your help. I will try your suggestions. Rory - sorry but I can not reach CHeckdvr.exe - can you give some other location for this file?

Hi - still looking. Host Monitor - too expensive. Rory’s CHeckDVR - nice - but client must remember about asking DVR. Rory - is it possible to modify CHeckDVR, put in autostart on clients station –CheckDVR alone pings DVR several times per day and only if no response from DVR (earlier pre defined IP) - pop up massage is displayed on clients station?

Ofcourse, anything is possible ..

Actually yes you could have a timer running so it checks every so many minutes, or even run a sheduled task so it does it in the background .. or have a little pop up over the tasktray saying checking DVR .. etc .. and also can send email .. its just time consuming to integrate it right now ..

I could probably do some of the quicker methods for right now, take a list of IPs and ports from a text file, and run the check every so many minutes or hours in the background, or on top .. text file to say if it is on start up or not .. well one config text file and one text file for IPs and ports ..

Rory - If you do it - it will be nice piece of work, I’m sure useful for many. Please reply when you complete it. Thank you.