AlanB1976

a bit of info on NRVs and IP cameras

Hey all

Please forgive the noob questions. I’ve started reading up on setting up my own CCTV system but can’t seem to find a straight answer on this:

1. For IP cameras, do you just set the camera up with a folder to save to (whether that is a PC, NAS or NVR)? I know some have other functionalities, like saving to cloud, but I wanted to find out if they all operate in the same way or if they are device dependent. For example, do I have to buy the same companies NVR and IP cameras or can I mix and match?

2. What is a NVR? I understand it as basically a networked hard drive with a basic system to view the contained media (with possibly network ports to connect directly to the cameras if you so choose). Does it do more? I assume that it is the IP cameras where you setup any of the record on motion stuff, etc., so the NVR would basically just be a mini-pc to view what has been recorded.

To give some context, I’m looking at putting up 3 external POE IP cameras. I originally wanted to save directly to my cloud storage (google drive & dropbox) but I see all of them use their own cloud or some way that I will have to pay monthly. So, instead, I will record to a hidden NVR (or NAS if more suitable). The location where the media will be stored will be hidden in a wall panel, so there won’t be any way of connecting monitor/mouse to it. Is a NVR what I want? Cause if it’s just a shared drive as I asked above, I might as well rather buy a NAS, save money and use for other storage.

Thanks for any help.

Alan

1. Yes, you can record directly to some network drive, but , believe me, it's much more complicated than using standalone DVR.

2. NVR (Network Video Recorder) is a digital video recorder which works only with IP (network) cameras. You're right, in fact it is a Linux based dedicated computer . NVR is often said to be pentaplex or even hexaplex becuse it can do 5-6 functions simultaneously: live view, recording, network connection, control, playback and file backup. It's usually compact sized , silent , very stable and uses dedicated HDD, can be operated locally (with it's own monitor and mouse) or from networked PC,tablet or smartphone. Works 24/7 and the price is comparable to NAS devices.

Many producers support Onvif protocol both fo NVR and IP cameras, so you can make a mix. Also, many NVRs support third-party cameras besides their own.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll stick to a packaged system (IP cameras and DVR) as I just don't know enough. I'd love to be able to mix and match but will never get any support if there are any problems.

When you say "operated from a networked pc", does that include basically everything? I know that will depend on the type and age of system but I'd be looking at a new NVR system. I ask as the location of storage will basically be inaccessible so can't go disassembling everything anytime I want to review something.

Just buy some plug'n'play system and don't look for the cheapest one , I've seen some, giving picture far worse than expected. Since you are a newbie, find a reseller with good customer support, and good luck!