griffonsystems

ip vrs. dvr meeting in 3hrs

good morning, i am going into one of these discussions with a client today and wanted to know if anyone has been in one lately and how they faired.

i am not necessary anti ip but i just havent installed or have seen anything that was overly impressive.... for this client they have around 40 cameras with 15 of them ptz.. i know you can setup encoder/decoders for all the current cameras but isnt that a pain especially for the ptzs - dont you have to run new utp for the ptz you cant just connect some kind of digial convert on it to run it?

im going to just run the meeting collecting data and then asking open questions about what they want and let them come to a conclustion themselves about what solution would be better and not trying to come off as a dvr supporter even tho at this point i am any advice?

Quality, Bandwidth, are they going to spend for the bandwidth required to get any kind of decent quality with IP?

Higher quality IP cameras are more than 4 times the cost of a high quality CCTV Camera.

IP software does not yet match that of DVR software, unless they are in the CIA and can afford $100K for just the software.

Are they going to record all 40 cameras on one PC?

Are they going to watch all 40 cameras on one monitor?

Consumer wise it is Milestone, but still that doesnt match say the Geovision or even alot of stand alones such as Ge. luxriot is okay also. Ive looked at others which claim to be big sellers, and arent cheap, all in one systems, but they typically arent even as good as Milestone. Then there's the hardware.

Basically if they have hundreds of cameras it would be worth it, to an extent. Though personally i only see a real use in our type of business for IP, when it is Wireless with more than 16 cameras, or temporary installations ...

sadly, I Have to disagree and agree with Rory... there are many advantages to IP and yes...you can indeed just plug in a smple encoder that can also control the PTZ without the need to run cables... the breakdown is like this...

If you have existing bandwidth that you can use then....it is good to go IP because you do not have to recable the whole site, the other advantages is that if you ever relocate the head end (recording unit) you do not need to re route all the cables... Rory is right however that it is not cost effective unless you have many many cameras, but this is where people make the mistake of thinking that if there are many cameras and IP are TWICE (and sorry rory but they are only TWICE) as expensive then the expense will be more than twice that of the anaologue equivelent.... but that is wrong..

if you were to cable for 60 cameras at $120 per camera run, then that would be $7200 worth of labour, not to mention cable and let me tell you that ONE fibre network with a few switches is not all that more expensive, except now you have other options like...PA...Aircon...Database...Voip etc, because you now have a backbone infrastructure.

To pick up everything and move would require one new patch lead not re cabling 60 cameras... IP actually can do MUCH higher resolutions than analogue.. however I have to agree that on average the quality of CCD is not as good... but that is not always the case.

The biggest problem with I.P. is that if the network crashes then you stop recording (you can get webservers that have a HDD in them making analogue cameras IP cameras and allowing the camera to record onto a webserver when the network is down and then replenish the missing data to the NVR Machine) but this is the same as having a DVR for each camera so it is relatively expensive.

So unless you have unlimited bandwidth and have Unlimited cash then Analogue is probably the best option unless you have a really good infrastructure that you can use and very deep pockets...However on a sliding scale IP is coming down in price much faster than analogue cameras so it will not be long until anlogue cameras are obsolete

~ I hope this helps

They're 4 times+ the price in the US, for the high quality IP cameras, then much more for the software. Remember we are talking retail pricing, and it would be 10x the price if we compare it to the analogue bullet cameras.