dustind

Should I use network cameras

Hello, I am starting to research a surveillance camera system for my work and I am trying to decide if we should go with network IP cameras. There are about 8 to 10 buildings spread out over 100 acres that wil eventually have 4 to 8 cameras each. Most of the buildings will have the cameras installed in harsh marine type environments. There is an existing fiber based network installed that should have enough bandwidth available and there are extra pairs of fiber between several of the buildings to allow for a network within the network for the cameras if necessary.

I have been doing some reading and it looks like the main advantage to the ip cameras is we can use existing wiring to overcome the long distances between the buildings. It seems the disadvantages are limited camera options and more expensive cameras.

Are network cameras the best solution for this spread out system, or should I be looking in another direction until the camera technology and selection improves more?

Thanks

Dustin

budget equals answer................

I suggest doing both IP and analog. purchase IP servers and connect analog camera's. You'll need a decent IP recording solution. Video Insight has a IP Server that will do this for you. http://www.video-insight.com

multiple buildings are tought to bring together with limited funds or limited bandwidth. Look down range at not only funding the purchase but also look at budgeting monies to maintain and replace as needed. If you can't maintain it why buy it?

IP cameras are still in their infancy, so people using them will be 'early adopters' - and early adopters usually end up with a pile of low quaity crap that is out of date in 6 months. At least, thats my experience of how it went with digital cameras, and computers etc.

I would go for the best solution, regardless of wether its network ready or not, as a analogue camera can be connected to a network via a dvr, or other pc, or other eqiupment.

Look at the cost of both options, and remember, new does not always mean better, often it can mean worse.....

If a IP cam is suitable, and cost effective then fine, but you will probably be hard pressed to find a decent IP cam with decent resolution that can withstand a drop of rain, never mind harsh conditions for anything like the price you could find quite a few normal cams for, which probably have higher specs and better build quality.

Course, not used IP cams, just gut feelings.

id use a DVR in each location, lets you use any CCTV camera on the market .. there are many different types of CCTV cameras for different applications and budgets, each camera location is a seperate application.

You can still access them over the network or internet .. and have crisp local recording as well ..

Personally I dont consider IP cameras CCTV ...but thats me ..

I spent a while reading about the products that video insight offers and it looks like most of the features I was looking for in the IP cameras can be obtained with analog cameras with their cards and software. The central monitoring capability looks very useful since the buildings are spread apart too far to have a single central computer.

Thanks for your help guys.

Dustin