Sign in to follow this  
sb-multi_media

Grounding And Installation Questions

please refer to the diagram/pic for system setup.    Starting a fairly large job that I was hired on by an electrical contractor.

He is going to be trenching and adding pole led lighting at the camera locations to the side of the building(diagram).

Ive done many home and business installations however these are the largest outdoor runs ive

ever had to plan out,.... soo i have a few questions....

1. Im trying to limit the number of cable that I run to the switches from the control room  so im having a 95W poe switch with x2 ports that input the 95W to
x2 outdoor switches (x7 ip ports at 30w each )in the diagram I show the cable and camera layout in orange. (is this a good idea/layout? has anybody had any experience with this method?)

2. I am planning on using shielded cat6 direct burial from true cable.com for the long outdoor runs we are going to trench the standard 18" depth and the cat6 is going to run in parallel with

the pole lighting electrical just the typical 120v and plan on using conduit at about 8-10" gap in between cat6 and electrical both in conduit of course.  (do i really need to use the shielded since
im going to run the cable in conduit can i just use utp direct burial in pvc conduit at the 18"depth seperated 8-10" from the electrical?) ive been reading that shielded cat 6 is hard to work with
and needs to be properly grounded? the runs are long but not something un reasonable for a poe camera run. will these lengths really cause a large enough static build up to where i would need to ground
them? also isint the utp direct burial already grounded in the conduit i would assume soo this would only leave the 120v run in parallel for about 30ft-100ft-then only about another 100ft will this be an issue
if i decide to use the utp direct burial in the conduit?)

3. Grounding?
so i definitley want the main cat6 lines coming from the control room to the outside to be grounded. if i use shielded just for these two cable runs with
grounded rj45 connectors into a switch that is grounded does this properly ground the shielded? does this also properly ground the external switches
or should i ground these seperatley would this cause ground loops? is grounding really that big of an issue ive been installing cameras for about 3 years
now and ive never had any issues with having to worry to much about the grounding and there is a big difference between installers who really have field experience
and those that dont. soo Please hopefully ive given enough information with the diagram.. if grounding is an issue please how can i properly ground?

one.jpg

one.jpg

Hi. With the cable runs I would go cat6 but I would not bother with grounding 

going steel rj45 only gives a path to all your equipment 

Are you looking at lightning issues for grounding cable

how many cameras and what make

whats up bro..thanks for the reply......

lorex smart deterence 2 way talk w/ siren E892AB 9.5w per 12v x6 in front x3 on side of the building.

lighting issues with grounding cable? what do you mean?

thanks again...

6 hours ago, sb-multi_media said:

lighting issues with grounding cable? what do you mean?

Hi with you talking grounding it sounds like you was doing lightning protection 

but I think your talking ground loop problems 

…. there is no ground loop problems with iP cameras …. Plus no point going with they cost for metal rj45 when camera ports is plastic……. Standard rj45 with cat6 is all you need  

choice of equipment ….. from your pictures it looks like a school which gives you a few problems …….. first dahua equipment in a government building 

second is the strict audio laws in cali      not allowed in schools

And something else to consider domestic cameras in commercial setting is ok except cameras are in place to collect information so there best just sitting on a wall or post doing there job 

they become useless and even warn criminals of camera location 

red. /blue flashing light white strobe light and a siren only alerts people to the location of the camera ………. the school will only be replacing damaged cameras every few weeks

On 12/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, sb-multi_media said:

so i definitley want the main cat6 lines coming from the control room to the outside to be grounded.

Hi. I think your mixing up grounding and shielding 

I would keep your system install basic none of your runs are beyond the cable limits 

direct burial cat5e to each camera will not only make install easier and no grounding needed but no switches needed which is better for 4k