buzz427

is this considered cheap?

Hey im looking at building a dvr system. I dont know exactly which route to take, but from reading the posts here ive noticed that the best advice is not to go cheap

What im looking for is a 16 channel system that has best viewing and recording rates possible with good picture quality.

Ive been looking at Geo's GV 1480 and put a kickass computer behind it

Will this fit the bill? or should i buy a stand alone dvr?

Not too sure what road to take. if DVR when what one?

Is the GV-1480 pretty much the best choice for a dvr card?

Money is really not the issue here casue truley you pay for what u get and quite honestly i hate dropping down a moderate amount of it and not being happy. Id rather go the distance and be pleased with the system.

Thanks for your input guys

Buzz

Yup thats the one.

Make sure you follow the PC requirements (Intel Northbridge!) and I personally suggest Nvidia graphics cards.

The cameras and cabling play an equal role in quality.

Hi,

and how abt a GV card for a 4ch ones? Any recommendations?

the GV-800-4 ... no DSP though, but real time live and record.

ahh...thanks for the prompt reply rory.

called up a local distributor to ask abt the pricing. It's abt SGD$880 over here. Man! Is that expensive or what?

Yeah, reason most people dont bother with the 4 channel GV800 and go straight to the 1120 combo card .. only a small difference .

Are you an end user or a reseller/installer? Also .. is SGD .. Singapore?

the GV-650 or 600 are cheaper, and ofcourse the GV-250 is much cheaper .. might want to see whether you really need 30fps on all channels .. with Smart Motion it can be good with the 250 especially compared to most stand alone DVRs.. slower than the 600's+ obviously but same exact Geo software. Also make sure they are selling you Genuine cards and at the least version 7.04 .. 8.0 preferrable ..

Hi rory,

My company is looking into setting up a DVR/CCTV biz. We have actually closed a few deals already. Currently we don't have any 4ch DVRs so I was thinking of setting up our very own system for customers who only need 4 or less CCTVs. One of our distributors has currently been appointed as the authorised GeoVision DVR card so I caled them up to asked for some quotations.

Yes, SGD= Singapore Dollars.

I'm not so keen in getting an embedded 4/8 channels type due to the inferior recording quality (if you can recommend me one that is good, then it will change my perception ).

The Embedded DVR's recording quality is actually good, its just when you digitise it using the standard network methods that come with most of them, that it becomes much worst .. however as they are typically recording in 720x480, you can use the video output to a PC Capture card to convert to AVI or other for the PC.

Course that all depends on the DVR .. the budget ones dont all do 720x480 on each channel unless they are in full screen .. but the more expensive brand names typically do - they do this by multiplexing the video .. so you are getting slower recorded video as it switches super fast from one channel to the next .. but you get the high quality.

Cant say I know what to recommend you guys over there, as I was thinking mostly of GE (Kalatel) DVRs when i typed the above, and they are very expensive just to ship them down here to our country (and we are right off the coast of Florida) so I imagine it will cost a fortune to get them to your area. Otherwise Dedicated Micros or Bosch maybe something worth while looking at as they do have production for those on the Europe side, and perhaps also in your area.

Typically I would just sell them the GV250-4 unless they can afford the GV800 .. i just dont bother with the 600 or 650 ..

I find the 600's are quite reasonable so for 4 cameras or less we go 600, 8 cameras or more 800, and a high end system 1120 or 1240.