Hard to believe I registered here in 2011, I was in the electrical business and we had stated doing camera installs but got so busy with electrical we didn't end up doing many installs, mostly CCTV and a few IP setups, plus a lot of folks just went with Ring devices etc. Anyway in the past 13 years I haven't really kept up on the tech and I retired in 2019 but here is what I am looking for:

I would like to monitor a roundabout intersection in front of my house 24/7. For 14 years or more I have had a POE ACTI camera doing this connected to a PC but having issues now. I would like to go with one or two new cameras and an NVR. I would like decent resolution but not sure at what point the extra cost is not worth another tiny gain, not looking for a plate reader. The distance is about 50-60 feet from the camera location to the target area, and the camera(s) will be mounted at 14' in height. Exposed to full weather and the Arizona desert Summers. My budget is not really that tight, but like I explained don't want to spend a lot on diminishing returns. Fixed cameras are fine, no need for PTZ.

Looking for suggestions and much appreciated.

Hi it’s over priced and it’s cheaper to buy two cameras to do the same job 

two separate cameras gives a little more protection were as the dahua dull cam one problem and both cameras go down at same time seperate cameras at least one will still be working and you save money

Where are you folks buying Dahua products that qualify for USA support?

Problem with using dahua is you could land yourself or buiness in hot water

always look for NDAA equipment especially if installing into a business … Dahua is not NDAA approved in the UK they have already closed there offices 

1 hour ago, tomcctv said:

Problem with using dahua is you could land yourself or buiness in hot water

always look for NDAA equipment especially if installing into a business … Dahua is not NDAA approved in the UK they have already closed there offices 

This is for home use.

The problem with home use is still the same

say you have a problem we’re you need to give police or courts your footage it can’t be downloaded on there computers 

The last time I gave a video clip to law enforcement it was a plain old MP4 and they had no problem with it. There was an accident in the roundabout and  my MP4 was used for the police accident investigation, the attorney for the injured and for the insurance company. This is in the USA. is there something I'm missing, I admit I am a rookie at this? The case has not, and may not, go to court.

A quick Google search shows the California court system wants AVI and MP4.

• Like 1

The reason why dahua and hikvision are not NDAA approved is to do with there software and what could be passed on when inserting into GOVERMENT pc (police-courts-)

just google is dahua NDAA approved  you will see all info required 

there are much better systems out there than the outdated dahua and hik. 
there is also a few US court cases now going on we’re companies have sold dahua under a different brand name 

and the other thing about dahua equipment is the price … it’s well over priced take a 4K iP camera USA $180 any other country $60

Dahua and Hikvision is fine for Home use. Police will use the MP4 exported video format.

NDAA is a small publicity stunt against those two biggest companies & using HiSilicon chips. If the USA cared about security it would block the other 90% of Chinese CCTV products available on the market.

Would the mp4 be a downloaded file ?

NDAA publicity stunt ???

it is now compliant and a legal requiment worldwide 

dahua is now cheap crap … not changed its format in years sellers are doing everything to get shut of it before there stuck with it

at the moment sellers are buy nvr get 4 cameras free

NDAA comparable systems you will find are $100 less than a dahua and more reliable and much more functions 100% better apps

15 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

NDAA publicity stunt ???

it is now compliant and a legal requiment worldwide 

How would you define NDAA? If it's to block Chinese cameras and smart phone apps from spying then it's failing badly.

NDAA is not a global legal requirement. Its compliance is mandatory for U.S. federal agencies and entities receiving federal funding, (IE not home users or most businesses), but it does not impose legal obligations on other countries. Some countries and international companies may choose to comply with NDAA standards to maintain diplomatic and business relationships with the U.S., but this is voluntary and not a legal requirement.

On 8/12/2024 at 12:01 PM, Mark_M said:

not home users or most businesses), but it does not impose legal obligations on other countries. Some countries and international companies may choose to comply with NDAA standards to maintain diplomatic and business relationships with the U.S

You are right except business selling and installing DO have to comply

it has nothing to do with China product infact most cameras and recorders are from China and are fully NDAA compliant and a lot better and cheaper than dahua or hik 

did you know dahua and hikvision was the same company years ago till taken over by the Chinese government 

but at the end of the day WHY IS Dahua and hik refusing to comply with NDAA why are dahua closing places all over the world 

also Lorex. people don’t know lorex opened in 2004 by dahua thinking it was a Canadian company

now just this month lorex has come under the spotlight and will have a negative impact on home users when the lorex cloud is shut down and they can’t log onto there systems anymore  

NDAA is not about Chinese products it’s about cyber security  if you look back on the forum about 10 years ago a dahua system had in its log in one day 1.400 logins from China iP address….. who wants a cctv SECURITY system that allows strangers from another country watching you and family and guests to your home or business

the main reason for NDAA is to stop information being sent to China GOVERMENT server.  Images/video/audio 

All the point is …. Why buy expensive dahua products that fall well below what todays systems can do for less money and be protected

On 8/14/2024 at 9:51 PM, tomcctv said:

NDAA is not about Chinese products it’s about cyber security  if you look back on the forum about 10 years ago a dahua system had in its log in one day 1.400 logins from China iP address….. who wants a cctv SECURITY system that allows strangers from another country watching you and family and guests to your home or business 

the main reason for NDAA is to stop information being sent to China GOVERMENT server.

That is a big contradiction.

So my point stands that NDAA is about Hik and Dahua being banned yet the USA gov doesn't ban other Chinese camera brands sending data back to China government servers? Including some brands in a ban but not others, sounds like a publicity stunt.

How do you know if Reolink sends data back to China servers the CCP can access?

On 8/14/2024 at 9:51 PM, tomcctv said:

Why buy expensive dahua products that fall well below what todays systems can do for less money and be protected

I can agree on that. Far more other Chinese brands with better features available to send more data back to China.

10 hours ago, Mark_M said:

So my point stands that NDAA is about Hik and Dahua being banned yet the USA gov doesn't ban other Chinese camera brands sending data back to China

If they rely on p2P (point to point) from your home to a China based server then it’s not NDAA … ok let’s put it another way … you can’t use dahua in any GOVERMENT building in USA or uk because it’s none NDAA compliant WRONG YES YOU CAN IF your not connecting it to a network systems work 100% on there own with no internet involvement…… NDAA only applies when on the web (cyber security)

GOVERMENT building in the uk a few years ago had dahua/ hik cameras then all of a sudden pictures were in a China news paper of something going on in a GOVERMENT building ….. that’s cyber security threat 

so yes NDAA is needed why on earth do GOVERMENT want cameras in there building that china has full control over we’re is the security in that

now you talk about reolink (I would never sell to any customer) how many customers data did they misuse 8months ago 1000s of innocent peoples……. Only 3 weeks ago another data breach was listed 

Security flaws were also found in Reolink's camera, which adopted the Hypertext Transfer Protocol for data transmission via the user's WiFi

it was only a few years ago you could install alarm systems camera system to protect your buiness or home NOW the systems people buy have introduced another problem PERSONAL DATA TO A 3rd party of all data in and out of your home which is theft …… alarms cctv used to protect now you buy security to steel data

NDAA is a simple compliance 

apps for viewing should stay in the same country as the recorder cloud / storage so as it is protected by the likes of gdpr 

if a system is in Virginia then viewing and storage should only be stored in America not the other side of the world