LittleScoobyMaster

Wireless IP Camera interference question.

I just have a general question about how wireless interference is handled with wireless IP cameras versus wireless analog camera's.

With analog wireless camera's, the video signal usually gets distorted and rolls, hops, etc.

What happens when wireless interference is introduced to wireless IP cameras?

Does the same thing happen, or do you just drop frames and gain pixelization, etc.? I haven't used any IP camera's yet and I am just curious.

Thanks

That's good news.

With analog wireless cameras, the picture gets distorted and bends, rolls, hops, generally scrambled and it looks like an old television set trying to tune in an over the air broadcast with a crummy tv antenna.

Can you tell me about how bad the interference has to be before the framerates crawl to a halt on a wireless digital IP camera?

This is starting to sound like something I may just have to test out.

You see, with wireless analog camera's (signal looks like a tv station that rolls, hops, jumps about etc.), and this hopping can cause a Geovision DVR to record all the time because every frame of video looks completely the opposite as the one before it which triggers the record function.

With a wireless IP camera (data stream), if only frames are dropped, this shouldn't cause Geovision to record anything except real movement on a camera because the interference would just slow the frame rate and not trigger the Geovision to record because if there is no movement on the camera, every frame would look identical to the one before it.

Does Geovision have support for IP yet? I know I heard about them talking about it but I haven't seen any IP Camera support yet.

To answer your question. Digital signals such as 802.11 G are virtually imune to this type of interference issue. A digital signal will instead show pixelation, show reduced framerate or more comonly start and stop suddenly (this happens with HDtv's as well). If you experience this type of problem with a digital camera, it is most likely due to an analog link in the chain the signal follows, such as the wire connecting the wireless receiver to the CPU or viewing source.

interferance can be "viewable" if it is "injected" prior to the digital conversion..........ie. power interferance

IP camera's are a combination of analog & digital........