woter

Qvis Viper NVR vs QNAP QVR Elite & API questions

Hi,

Some time ago, I wrote this question and I've been kindly recommended the Qvis Viper PTZVIP-4-4MP-25X-V3 by @tomcctv. DTS Digital CCTV will supply it, however, they're recommending I purchase the Qvis Viper NVR (VIPER-NVR-4K2-4BB).

My current setup is a Hanwha XNV-8081Z with a QNAP running QVR Elite. I have a number of issues that I understand will be resolved because most of the "smart" functionality is processed at the camera as opposed to the NVR doing the work.

I understand the Viper is a re-branded TVT and I believe this particular camera is this one. QVR Elite supports ONVIF and some TVT cameras, however this particular model is not on QNAP's hardware compatibility list.

I plan to hook it up to Home Assistant to provide Ring doorbell-esq functionality. Home Assistant has an existing add-on that supports cameras via ONVIF.

1. Is the additional Viper NVR a legitimate requirement? I guess I can try without and buy it later.
  2. What additional functionality does this NVR give, or why would it be recommended?
  3. My current system records constantly and stores about 7 days on 1 stream. What size HDD would be required to retain this period?
  4. What functionality is lost between native Viper/TVT APIs and ONVIF.
  5. Does Qvis/Viper/TVT publish comprehensive publicly available RESTful APIs that I can utilise to write a Home Assistant add-on?
  6. Does Qvis/Viper/TVT regualry send out firmware updates?
  7. I notice this camera has been on the market for some time. Is a replacement due?

Sorry for the long post, but my current Hanwha is very dumb, alerting on pixel change. No tracking or scanning. I was in a rush, didn't do my research thoroughly and got my pants pulled down by the supplier, so I can't afford to make the same mistake again. I'd be tremendously grateful for any further help and advise.

Thank you in advance.

W.

Hi before you buy anything I would do a little more homework

yes the viper is one of the best systems out I have over 80 out. 
the one you quoted is a bit pricey 

are you only looking for a 4 channel ?

also the camera you currently have is 8 years old and is a Samsung.. Samsung don’t play nice with other systems

as far as connecting a ring doorbell yes it can be done BUT again may not play well but the viper does now have an add on which will control all smart devices from ring to garage/ door control. And doing this way keeps the nvr under the new NDAA regulations …. Is this for home use

Hi @tomcctv,

Thank you for replying.

I selected this camera based on a PM you sent me about a year ago.

Back then, you told me what the trade price of this camera was but as I am not in the CCTV trade but perfectly able to install it myself, my supplier options seem rather limited and the link above is about the best price I can find without writing to CCTV installers to ask for their "supply-only" price.

I only need one channel (one camera), but rather than chuck the Samsung in the bin, I was going to locate it in a different location, therefore I would need 2-channels. My QNAP QVS Elite has two licenses (channels) out the box.

I don't want to connect a Ring doorbell but rather simulate some of the features and more using Home Assistant. For example:

• Send a notification to my phone and Google Nest speakers if a stranger is in the driveway.
  • If the doorbell is pressed, focus the camera on the front door and show the footage on the TV.
  • Open the garage door if it detects my car approaching (assuming it's sensitive/accurate enough).

I believe the camera is capable but it's whether they expose the APIs.

The addon you mention, is that part of the camera or NVR?

This is for home use.

Thanks again.

W.