Sign in to follow this  
David Chan

Newbie needs help upgrading Analogue 7 Cam system to 4k IP

I have an analogue system with 8 cameras that uses coaxial cable. The system is failing because where the 12 V line meets the camera connector despite it being a push fit, there is corrosion around the connector. The connectors are housed in junction boxes which I have inspected and seem to be full of old spider nests. (Do spiders chew wires?) I have now realised that given the UK is damp, I will need to encase the connection area in silicone to prevent this from happening.

I need a system that has got high resolution, (4K, is this the same thing as 8 MP?) Some cameras will need to cover a wide area and be able to be seen from 40m away, and some will need to be by the front and back door.

I am confused about which system to go for. In my local area NW London, they seem to promote HikVision , and I read about security issues and the Chinese Communist Party, but these days everything seems to be made there, so there is always that risk.

Are there any dealers / suppliers that are in that area where I can pop down? Or are there any recommendations?

Also on the setup side of things I have 4 switches on my network, and where the external cat 5 cable runs into a switch depending on location. Each switch then has a separate connection to the router. I am guessing that with the cam. setup, it may be better to give the cameras a static IP address and start the DHCP pool further up? I can then input the static IP address of the cam into the DVR so it works correctly, or am I missing something.

I will be getting my roof done at some stage, so when that is being done I will defo sort out the camera wiring situation properly and have redundancy built it, but this will not be for another couple of years.

really appreciate your help.

Many thanks.

Hi. Since you already have coax in place then I would go for a 4K dvr  you get the same benifit as a IP system except a lot cheaper

what would your budget be ? I would also see if you need every camera at 4K (8mp) also full colour cameras at night are cheaper than iP 

I would stay away from hikvision and dahua or you will waste your money