ncpilot

motion alert via SMS text message to cell phone?

Seems all the software has a feature for email alert, which is fine if you're at a computer, or if you have email on your cell phone...

But lacking email on a cell, and assuming you'd like a notification no matter where you are, and considering that text messaging is way cheaper, has anyone tried to do this? (generally you have to pay a monthly fee to have email, whereas texting can be paid for per message)

I've done the internet research, and found ways to use either a GMS modem or phone attached to the computer, and there appear to be website services that allow you to send text messages for free. But are there any command line programs that would allow the same? (like a URL that contains all the options)

It wouldn't seem difficult for software to allow the option to execute a program in place of or in addition to launcing an email...

Or is this just a crazy idea?

It's doable. The problem becomes getting the site parsed to use your method. But you're kinda overworking the problem. Most cells will accept e-mail as a text message. @. will usually work.

Yes, but for my cell service, it's an extra bundle fee in order to have email (which I don't use). However, it only costs .10 per text message, and I average about 2-3 per month. So it would be much cheaper compared to email...

I suppose if I really want that capability, I could just pay the monthly fee...

do a search on google for email to sms. There are a variety of solutions that may or may not work for you, but basically forward your email to your cell number via sms text message format.

It only took me about an hour, but I finally found what I was looking for...

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net

Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

This is how you can send an SMS text to your own phone (or someone elses for that matter), without needing another middleman service (like teleflip).

Tried it out, and it took about 5 seconds from pressing the email send, until I got the message...

wont work here

Sorry to say, that from your various postings, it seems that quite a few things don't work there...

You're killing our notion that it's a "paradise" over there...

FYI: That always worked with my AT&T Phone and now Cingular phone and I've been using it for yearz... Also, works fine on T-Mobile phone that my co-worker has. It works like a text message where you don't have to have an internet or email plan and you will be charged .10c if that is what your provider charges for incoming text messaging service. Tom was trying to explain samething in his message but I am glad you figured it out. Regards, Sajaan