G0AOZ

A few basics to understand...

Not sure if this is the right place, but please bear with me...

Friend has a small shop that needs monitoring by two external cameras. He needs to be able to record from both cameras for about 12 hours (6pm thro 6am), every day of the week. Wants to maybe keep the recordings for say, 7 days, then discard if no incidents. Also wants the ability to be able to view from his home in realtime, what may be going on at the shop. He is hoping to link home and shop using ADSL connections.

1. Can something like an MJPEG infrared/colour IP camera with tilt and pan be used with say a Swann DVR4-Net Plus recorder? As I understand it this kind of camera would allow him realtime viewing across LAN/WAN.

2. Maybe the above is not the way to record the required footage? I guess there are video capture programmes suitable for running under Windows XP which would allow recording straight onto a designated HDD?

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments. Or direction to an appropriate site if this is deemed off topic.

G0AOZ.

For a small application your are spending way too much money. Small PC based system and some medium end analog cameras.

Thanks for reply Tom. Viewing over a WAN is essential - is a small PC based system going to allow this? A couple of pointers to likely suitable equipments would be great...

G0AOZ.

Given I work for a company that produces DVRs I will recuse myself from a DVR suggestion. But most of the PC based stuff and even alot of the stand alones are going to have remote viewing. I would also suggest removing the PTZ and swapping it out for some fixed cameras.