Hillman

Swann PV DVR-4-net card price/performance

Hi Folks,

I am the dreaded DIYer

I want to determine the DVR card first then the cameras.

I have read a good bit on the boards and I understand very well you get what you pay for. I have always tried to match the quality of what I buy with its intended use. I am in the process of putting in a surveillance camera system for my gate and garden. The gate camera is to see who is there and if the gate opens properly and the garden camera will be for watching the critters enjoying their night snacks.

There will be two fixed cameras in the beginning and maybe adding two more. One camera will watch the gate (low quality) the other the garden (higher quality).

I currently have a Swann PV DVR-4-net card which for my purposes is adequate. I know it is the bottom of the heap in quality but it does what I need for $95.

My question are there other cards better say for under $200 bucks? I checked the Geovision prices on a few and they all seem to be overkill on quality/price for my simple needs.

My goal is to keep the whole system under $1000 with the majority going toward garden camera. I am sorta thinking $200 card, $200-300 gate camera and $500 for garden.

I would appreciate any comments and I will report back any information I learn in this process to contribute something back to the forums.

The highest resolution on a Swann PC DVR-4-Net card on live and playback is only 320x240. Therefore, you will not get the most from a higher resolution camera. Something like a GEO card can give you higher resolution like 480, hence, increasing picture quality on live and playback. For best results, I suggest matching your system. 480 lines resolution from the camera to 480 line on the DVR and so on.

The highest resolution on a Swann PC DVR-4-Net card on live and playback is only 320x240. Therefore, you will not get the most from a higher resolution camera. Something like a GEO card can give you higher resolution like 480, hence, increasing picture quality on live and playback. For best results, I suggest matching your system. 480 lines resolution from the camera to 480 line on the DVR and so on.

Thanks. Maybe the Swann software has been updated or I do not understand something. On the Basic Configuration screen it allows me to pick 640x480 or 320x240.

I am currently evaluating the Swann Black Knight Wireless camera with 420 lines ( need to read up on "lines" to "resolution")at a gate. I know it is a lower quality camera but all I really need it for is to see who is at the gate FedX, UPS, stranger and to see if the gate opens properly. I don’t need to read licenses plates or anything. I chose it because it does have pretty good night vision though its daytime picture is washed out and it does not require an enclosure for my area’s weather. I hope to find a BW camera with clear day pictures and good night vision after I read and learn more from the boards..

I was just looking at the Geovision Version 8.0 Software with the (GV-250-4) Geovision 4 Video, 1 Audio-20 FPS for about $150. It sure looks a lot better than the Swann. Opinion?

I only know about a Swann card we played with. Maybe they have some software now, that I'm not aware of. My point is to match your system because, your system is only as good as the weakest link.

I only know about a Swann card we played with. Maybe they have some software now, that I'm not aware of. My point is to match your system because, your system is only as good as the weakest link.

Understood and thank you.

I would also suggest reading some of the post in regard to monitors as well. There is a lot of good comments and facts there, that might work best for you.

Will do. Thank you.

GV600-4 port will satisfy all your needs. It's not really that much more expensive then the GV250 but you get better frame rates. For the quality and features you get the extra $$ for Geo is quite small. Especially if you need to spend time trouble shooting problems, then the support for geo is everywhere.

GV600-4 port will satisfy all your needs. It's not really that much more expensive then the GV250 but you get better frame rates. For the quality and features you get the extra $$ for Geo is quite small. Especially if you need to spend time trouble shooting problems, then the support for geo is everywhere.

Are the frame rates quoted for each board their aggregate frame rate? Meaning if a board says 20fps and you have 4 cameras you will get a max of 5 frames per camera?

Are the frame rates quoted for each board their aggregate frame rate? Meaning if a board says 20fps and you have 4 cameras you will get a max of 5 frames per camera?

Hi .. yes, that is the case for all DVR cards ... though most have a "Smart" motion detection feature which means it spreads the fps amongst the active cameras upon motion detection, when enabled.

Hi .. yes, that is the case for all DVR cards ... though most have a "Smart" motion detection feature which means it spreads the fps amongst the active cameras upon motion detection, when enabled.

Thank you very much! That helped me decided which board to go with. I plan to start with 2 cameras and in time add 2 more so your advice and information has kept me from making ANOTHER mistake.