rayh78

system advice please

Any recommendations. Just looking for something to keep eye on a car that someone has been messing with. Sits about 40 ft away from my house on the road and I do have a 50 watt HPS light 20 ft away form car.

I was thinking about getting a camera and DVR from sams culb.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=343535

and

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=169838

they have cheaper cameras but I guess with low lighting I might need the better one but I have no idea and am new to this. And am just guessing a DVR is better than a VCR.

Don’t know how but would be nice if I could also view the camera on all TVs in the house like just turning to ch.2 on any TV.

Would really appreciate any suggestions on equipment and what I plan

Yes looks like a Qsee would be a better deal. I was thinking a DVR instead of using my PC to save wear and tear and dont have to leave my PC turned on 24 hours a day.

From what I am reading it looks like a DVR with a ethernet plug would need some type of special software with a monthly fee for me to use.

Hi, no special software is typically required, at least not at a cost.

Once you have Internet, you can set up a DDNS name somewhere like No-IP.com or DynDns.com for free, and set that up in your Router so you can connect from a remote location using the DVRs provided Client software. So basically once there is internet at the location, there should not be any additional costs. Also a router is suggested, at least for a non PC DVR.

On the DVR side, Id stay clear of that DVR .. if you want to go low end, at least do it with a reputable CCTV DVR company, such as Avermedia or AvTech ... they have some budget DVRs.

FWIW, we changed our old GV800 that kept crashing at work at picked up the 4ch Q-SEE DVR card from tigerdirect .ca.

The card has ran 100% with absolutely no issues so far, which has been a surprise. It even has PDA function built-in which was a bonus.

I see TD had it listed for VERY VERY cheap a few weeks ago, then I see they pulled it within the last week or so, not sure why. They also sell the DVR versions of the Q-SEE. Very basic, but they worked perfectly for me so far... the DVR card version at least.

Same here... looking for a budget DVR (for now), as I don't want 'another' computer in the room, and especially one running 24/7.

hi rayh, just wanted to give you a heads up about that system, had a client call me out for an estimate on a system for a system for a little bar he owned, he told me my quote was to expensive and went and bought that system,needless to say, i am going to install my system there next week, i can only tell you the truth is that quote" You get what you pay for" is very true, trust me alot of my money went to replacing cheap cameras & DVRs, besides computer parts are cheaper now.