maruthi_prasad

DELL 8200 250W power ATI 9550, which DVR card would fit in?

Hi, Please help me. I have DELL 8200 (PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.0G, 512K, 400, SOCKET N, C1),250W power ATI 9550,1GB ram, 250Gb HD. I am trying to find out a card which would fit in this computer and Which is reasonble in price. I was looking at Avermedia NV3000. I want to hook up 8 Cams. Please help me find a card which would go right in there.

Points to consider on the 8200, before you even think of driving a 8cam board, max out your memory, the 8100 uses RDRAM (Rambus) you have to install in pairs, upgrade your processor you can currently go to 3.06 northwood (with hyperthreading) upgrade your power supply.Perhaps another dedicated hard drive for storage. Now consider the costs and crunch the numbers. A decent 8 channel dvr card is going to be worth more than your machine. Ive built a lot of dvrs using open box Dell 8100 and 8200 machines in the past, you can bump them up but the upgrades are not cost effective, you can build a bare bones using top notch gear for less. However your original question.....any PCI card will fit as long as you have a empty slot, the avermedia NV3000 is a 4channel card to obtain 8 channels you will have to stack two of them. here are some links on upgrades and remember Dells use a lot proprietary guts. For your power supply: http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S41D1 for your processor: http://www.powerleap.com/ for your rambus I suggest you shop on line and check prices it is old technology but still in use avoid Ebay for memory buy from a dealer that will warranty the memory (stick with samsung) If you are using the machine for 24/7 dedicated service make sure you have good cooling, the ATI 9550 is ok its fanless but they get hot make sure you have the latest drivers. There are a lot of dealers on this forum check them out for cards. Read through some posts and check their links (sites) A lot of informative people here. Good luck