joe4

$1000 Per Camera Installed ??

I recived a quote for a 16 camera system that was about 1000 dollars per camera installed. The cabling is not anything special, I do my own data pulls.

Is this high?

120 FPS DVR with 240 GB storage.

13 x 1/4" Sony Mini-Dome, HR 470 TV Lines, Auto-Iris,

Vari-focal lens, 3.5 - 8 mm, 12V DC

3 x 1/4" Sony DSP Weatherproof Armored Mini-Dome,

Vari-focal lens, 4.3 mm .3 Lux, 12V DC

HR 420 TV Lines, Auto-Iris, IR Led 6000 hrs. 30 ft.

joe4,

You probably won't get too much response on this board regarding this post. It would be very bad ettiquette for us all to start undercutting each other's pricing in a public forum such as this.

I will tell you, that $16k for a 16 camera system, including a 120FPS, 240GB DVR, installation, and armored domes w/ IR does not seem high to me at all.

Just remember, there is no rule that you have to go with the first quote you receive. Please do feel free to get multiple quotes from different sources. That being said, don't go on price alone. In the DVR industry, you really do get what you pay for - always make sure you ask for, and check references as well. Know who you are dealing with. If you go with a reputable dealer you may pay a little bit more, but will get quality product and good service to boot.

Edit: just realised you are probably talking about parts and labour?? If so thats abour right.

I just did a quote, $50000, Labour was $8000, PTZs, Day/Night cameras, UF500 Infrared Bulbs, audio, etc. wiring pre run, somewhat, but many many many trips and time spent with electricians and even before quotation, and much more, and markup on parts was not high for our area.

My average 10 camera jobs are around $13-15K, 16 camera jobs run around $16K-30K. These are high quality cameras and DVR though. You get what you pay for in the CCTV industry. That said I have some kits now with bullet cameras and a low end DVR for around $5K with 10 cameras installed, but the quality of the video is not the same as the above mentioned as they are cheaper cameras and DVR. Another thing our prices here have to be double the US due to import taxes.

Hope this helps.

Rory

I recived a quote for a 16 camera system that was about 1000 dollars per camera installed. The cabling is not anything special, I do my own data pulls.

Is this high?

120 FPS DVR with 240 GB storage.

3 x 1/4" Sony DSP Weatherproof Armored Mini-Dome,

Vari-focal lens, 4.3 mm .3 Lux, 12V DC13 x 1/4" Sony Mini-Dome, HR 470 TV Lines, Auto-Iris,

Vari-focal lens, 3.5 - 8 mm, 12V DC

HR 420 TV Lines, Auto-Iris, IR Led 6000 hrs. 30 ft.

In my opinion, you are making a big mistake if you go with the 1/4" format: the 1/3" format will give you a much better picture. For awhile, I used the 1/4" format on a number of jobs. I realized that the quality was not what it should be, and now use only 1/3". Befor you buy, have the seller set up a 1/4" camera & a 1/3" camera (both Sony) side by side, looking at the same subject matter. Then, you be the judge. . . .

Yes Robert is right there, that slipped by me. Use a 1/3" especially if you are spending that kind of money. GE Kalatel all use 1/3" lens. You get a wider lens with them also, but also the image is normally better. Im sure Sony must have some 1/3" versions also, and other brands do also.

Im sure the installer is quoting what they use, but request a quote for 1/3" cameras. If you like, email me offline as to what you want to use it for, where it will be, lighting conditions etc, and I can recommend some products. It would be best just to get a pro in your area to quote you as they can see what needs to be monitored. OR take some digital shots of every location. Either way you are the client and the client is always right I had a client just have me quote him on specs he gave me, no questions asked, included all B/W cameras, B/W Monitor, Time Lapse VCR, Mux, etc!! He knew waht he wanted and even though I recommended what else is out there, i was more than happy to quote him on what he asked for.

Sony is a good name, but dont know many people that actually use them in the CCTV business, except for their technology that is in many other brands of cameras. Some of the best are Ganz, GE, Phillips, Panasonic, Ultrack, and even Sanyo has some good quality Fixed Domes. If you can stay away from fixed domes, it is even better to use a traditional box type camera, better choice of lenses, and better quality generally, but no doesnt look as discreet as a Fixed Dome. But then there are many other discreet cameras besides fixed domes that can give you the same image/specs as a fixed dome, but are more discreet. Whereever you want to put a camera or whatever you want to see, there is a camera made for it nowadays.

Sony is still a great camera, just be aware there are many others that are just as good or better, and have a wider range of products.

What type of DVR are they suggesting?

Rory

Edited by Guest

Some other things, what is the quality of the parts in the DVR, better parts cost more but will generally be more stable. Is the 240 GB of storage two drives, or five SCSI drives in a raid array, one costs alot more then the other.

Knightvision I am not asking anyone to undercut or even give a price quote.

The "DVR" is a PC with a card. The "Sony" cameras are not Sony they are just using Sony parts. Like calling a Honda Odyssey a Acura MDX because they share the same engine

It is hard to belive you get what you pay for when price on the exact same product can vary 20 - 30 %

Does anyone know of a good Houston Texas company?

if you buy an eclipse camera, it is generally cheap video quality, if you buy a phillips, or similar, it is much better quality. But there is a big difference in price.

If this isnt a Sony Camera, or not another name brand, if it is generic (no name, or eclipse, etc), then you are getting ripped off!

Anybody in Houston? The only I will be able to pick a camera is to see it in action.