kao

Unique situation - need some advice.

A guy walks in and says at the moment he is running a camera in a waterproof enclosure to video shipwrecks in Lake Superior.

His current setup - He runs 120v power from the boat down to the waterproof enclosure and has a 12v DC transformer in the enclosure to power the camera. Video is sent back via 1000ft coax cable.

They basically drag the camera slowly under the boat.

This system works fine, except he would like higher resolution - like that of a MegaPixel IP camera.

The problem is I dont think you can run an IP camera signal back to the boat over a 1000ft of cat5 without putting some kind of booster or repeater inline. (Plz correct me if Im wrong).

Fiber may be an option, but that might get a bit out of his budget...and Im not sure how fiber would hold up waving around in the water all the time.

I'm pretty sure you can run ethernet over rg59 (I know we used to run it over rg58 in ThinNet networks) and rg59 *I think* has a limit of about 1500ft. Anyone know of any converters to go from cat5 to rg59 and back again?

Edit - also looking for suggestions on a good MPixel camera. I was looking at the Arecont line. The only IP cameras I have used are lower end (gadspot, Hunt, and D-Link).

Kao,

FYI...Check out the Deep Development Corporations Viperfish Deep which is an all in one solution which might meet your application.

I saw this exciting product at the Security Canada exposition back in October where they showed the product and sample video.

------------------------------

Rugged High Resolution Digital Video Recorder

Viperfish® Deep

Record high resolution video at depths up to 1000 feet on a rugged digital platform. Clear, real-time, full-speed, non-multiplexed video is recorded to a rugged hard drive.

This battery operated submersible digital recorder is power self sufficient providing flexibility and reliability for all your underwater recording needs. It converts analog video to digital format storing it at 720 X 480 frames full speed 30 FPS.

Key Features and Benefits:

• High Resolution Recording to depths up to 1000'

• 1 Video Input (single channel)

• High Resolution 720 X 486

• Full Speed 30 Frames Per Second

• Light weight - weighs less than 5 pounds

• Clear Crisp Non-Jerky Non-

• Multiplexed Video

• Scalable to 640 X 480

• Large 80 GB hard drive

• Shock and vibration tested

• Smart Flag Alarm Verification