Is it not a good idea to run power and data on a cat5 cable even if its a short distance of 50 feet?

That depends but most PTZs shouldn't be powered over Cat5 anyway.

If it's just a digital PTZ then it should work okay.

Because Cat5 is 24 gauge and most PTZs draw enough power to require 18 gauge. Sure you can double or triple up pairs but if you ever get an open on one... nobody thinks of that though.

Obviously this depends on the PTZ in question, since no specific part number was given I just gave a general answer. Since digital PTZs don't have moving parts they don't need nearly the current.

(You know the ones I am talking about, few use them.)

VST_Man, I have seen you mention mini-PTZs before in the past, those may well be able to be used this way. (Feel free to PM me info on them, I have been meaning to ask you about them.)

Yep, I should have gave more information. Its an ICRealtime 3600 PTZ. Current draw is 12v~2.5A or 24v~1.5A I wish I could find cabling that has all the lines needed. But I guess power is close to the mounted camera so no need to run all the way back to the recorder.

I wouldnt run the power on Cat5, I would power it locally, or if its not too far, run 18AWG back to the head unit.

Man this thing is a real mother to program. Would it be easier to use a controller? Its my first one.

I have built several PTZ units for friends/customers. I like the smaller Vicon units, namely the V3700 series. Built my own control panel also for them. I use Belden 9 conductor New Generation shielded cable in either 20 or 18 gage. Don't use the "autopan" part, as my panel builds are wireless, using relays inside to control the motor functions. Tied the pan common and the tilt common together inside. Buy 9-pin connectors for radio sets on Ebay, and convert them over. Need 5 wires for the PTZ, then use the others for powering the cameras. Found 12 channel RF board on Ebay to control all functions wireless. Put both 12vdc 9a power supply in panel, as well as 120va 24vac transformer. Panels take awhile to build, but the wireless RF controls can operate over 200 feet, as I have one panel in use , inside a friends' hay barn, that is around 200 feet from his house.