givonnet

Looking for a decent DVR card... Please help!

Hello,

I'd like to setup a PC based DVR for my cams. I'm in the market for an 8ch DVR card, but I don't have the money to buy a fancy one. I've seen a bunch of 8ch cards on Ebay, but I don't want to get stuck with

a crappy card. Would you know of any good 8 ch cards out there under $300?

Also, do you recommened having a video-out port on the DVR card or keep it seperate on a different card? If not, would you know of a DVR card with the video-out port so I can view it on my TV?

Obtaining a PC capable for recording isn't a problem.

I appreciate your help!

Geoffrey

The short answer is "no". You will not find an acceptable 8 channel card under $300. If you buy a card off eBay, who will you turn to for support?

There are 2 major DVR card makers: Avermedia and Geovision. Neither one meets your budget. Raise your budget. Don't forget to consider the total frame rate, not just the number of channels.

If you only have $300 for a card, where is your money for cameras? Cables? Power supplies? Lighting?

What are you watching that is worth 8 cameras but not worth $400-$600 for a decent card?

if this system is for personal use you might consider searching for a good, used geovision or other quality card off ebay. i'm talking a used genuine card, not a cheap knock-off.. of course there will be no warranty, which is why this route isn't recommended if it's for a commercial job but if it's for a home system and the risk is reasonable, why not? it's better than getting stuck with a system that doesn't do what you expect..