Hi all,

I am quite new to the world of surveilance so please be gentle with me.

My question is: Is there anything on the market that can take a coaxial (or other) signal from a camera (or camera's) and record the video direct to a external hard drive, fundamentally bypassing a PC or Laptop.

My reasons for this question are:

1. I use my Laptop for work, but dont use my external hard drive

2. I dont like the idea of leaving my lap top on all the time (heat issues)

3. Far easier to conceal a external hard drive

I have found a USB DVR-box from Rapidos - RM-1060S(RW-KTS04U)

and it is absoloutely perfect but (i think) requires direct intervention with a pc (i presume for the software to work its magic)

I do feel this request is a bit of a long shot but i just, honestly, dont know if such a piece of hardware exists.

Many, many thanks in advance.

I was talking to the guy at ILDVR and he said they are coming out with a camera that will still have standard output, but also be IP enabled and a USB port. Plug the camera directly into a USB hard drive and you have a very basic DVR, no pc required!

How about a stand alone embedded DVR??

Or depending on the need, a portable DVR?

I was talking to the guy at ILDVR and he said they are coming out with a camera that will still have standard output, but also be IP enabled and a USB port. Plug the camera directly into a USB hard drive and you have a very basic DVR, no pc required!

very, very interesting...i thought there was a possible gap in the market for one moment.

I need my laptop for work but i dont ever use my external HD for work and saving the little penny's is important to me.

Thank you

I would recommend the Geovision Video Server.

You can connect 1 or 2 analog cameras to it via coax and a USB hard drive. It is accessable via IP if you want to connect it to a network.

I dont know for certain, but I think it saves the video files in AVI format (like a full blown Geovision PC system) to the USB hard drive. If you load the codec on your local pc, you should be able to just use windows media player to review the files.