tomdlgns

Playback video that you have captured

I have 5-6 different versions of GeoVision DVRs and when i take video footage, typically a .avi file, and try to play it back, i have problem viewing it on a pc other than the original DVR it was taken from.

i was told by my vendor that i needed to navigate to the program files directory and take a file called InstallCodec and i need to install that on any pc that i want to view my video on. however, if i update a new codec i lose the function of watching my video files from a different version of GeoVision.

now, i find it hard to believe that i am the only user out there with multiple GeoVision DVRs that has 1 main PC where video needs to be watched on.

is there a player that can play multiple types of GeoVision files? is there a codec that works with different versions of GeoVision?

if anyone is confused i can explain in greater detail.

thanks

Not sure what versions you have, but my 8.1 version has a backup option, in the view log, that can make a exe that is exported with the avi files. Copy the backup directory to cd and you have a complete package that can playback the files on the cd on any compatible pc.

Not sure what versions you have, but my 8.1 version has a backup option, in the view log, that can make a exe that is exported with the avi files. Copy the backup directory to cd and you have a complete package that can playback the files on the cd on any compatible pc.

im not sure what versions i have. some of the systems were purchased 1 year ago and then the rest were purchased at different times between the last 8 months.

i realized the purchase date doesnt matter all that much, however, my vender typically has the latest stuff ordered for me when i place a new order.

im not sure if i have seen the backup feature you are talking about, but i do know that i can burn video files through the program. however, they will play on the pc just fine, but when i go to another pc and it doesnt work i need to grab a codec. and this is ok, but it seems that my pc can only handle one geovision codec at a time. either that, or it only recognizes the latest codec and doesnt let me roll back to the previous one. im suprised that geo vision doesnt have a player that contains all of their codecs.

this is just a pain for me since i have to pull video from multiple dvrs and when i bring it back to the office, out of the 5 or 6 recordings i have, i can only get playback on 1-2 if i am lucky...

thanks

When you use view log to save avi files, click on the settings tab, there should be an option to save as exe.

If you do it that way, the codec required and a viewer will be exported along with the video/audio files - that way every thing you need is contained on the cd, and will play without problems.

You often must install proprietary codecs on a PC to play video clips generated by many DVRs. That's because Microsoft can't/doesn't include codecs for ever possible media format with Windows.

Also, for anyone wanting a full-featured media player that is both simple and free, try VLC Media Player available here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.

You often must install proprietary codecs on a PC to play video clips generated by many DVRs. That's because Microsoft can't/doesn't include codecs for ever possible media format with Windows.

Also, for anyone wanting a full-featured media player that is both simple and free, try VLC Media Player available here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.

i have had vlc for about 3 years now. video doesnt work in it. if i drag the .avi file in there, nothing happens...

When you use view log to save avi files, click on the settings tab, there should be an option to save as exe.

If you do it that way, the codec required and a viewer will be exported along with the video/audio files - that way every thing you need is contained on the cd, and will play without problems.

im not trying to be picky, but did you mean settings button? i dont see a tab, just a circle icon and it says settings if i leave my mouse rolled over it.

i am in the view log screen right now (f10)

once i click the settings button, i dont see save as exe.

i am either in the wrong are, or i dont have a compatible version.

edit, one of the DVRs i tried this on is version 8.01

i will try another dvr and report back.

thanks

ok, my latest dvr system is version 8.1

if you don't mind, please walk me through some steps to get to the same screen you are referring to.

thanks.

try this .. not updated for H.264 or Mpeg4 ASP yet though.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/Geo/GeoPlayer.zip

thanks, that seems to play more than windows media player can.

however, with a few files, from a specific geo vision pc which i dont have the version number for at this moment, it freezes up and asks me to send an error report.

basically it installs the codec when you open it, if it isnt already registered, but not the 2 codecs i mentioned above. If you can find out which Geo is giving the error, and what codec it was recorded in, let me know. Thanks.

BTW, it actually uses Windows Media Player, whichever is installed on your PC.

Rory

try this .. not updated for H.264 or Mpeg4 ASP yet though.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/Geo/GeoPlayer.zip

thanks, that seems to play more than windows media player can.

however, with a few files, from a specific geo vision pc which i dont have the version number for at this moment, it freezes up and asks me to send an error report.

basically it installs the codec when you open it, if it isnt already registered, but not the 2 codecs i mentioned above. If you can find out which Geo is giving the error, and what codec it was recorded in, let me know. Thanks.

BTW, it actually uses Windows Media Player, whichever is installed on your PC.

Rory

well, the player that i got from your link works and windows media player does not. so im not sure whats going on. i am trying to watch these videos on the same pc.

thats because the player from my link, is just a Media Player object, inserted onto a Visual Basic Form, with the appropriate code for it to work, and the most important part is that it installs the codecs upon loading, if they are not installed.

Now as to Windows Media Player not working after that, its probably checking for updates to the codec, turn off that feature in Windows Media Player settings if it isnt already. See the Windows Media Player program is still different from just the Media Player object, which is in mine, but they will still use the same codecs once my player installs it.