jstory

License for surveillance installs in texas?

Who issues these? Isnt it the department of public safety? I was just wonder want procedures you have to go through to get a license in Texas.

Thanks for the help guys.

- Jason

Yes you need a license, google is a good friend to have. It's either Public Safety or the Dept of Health.

If I had specifics I would give them but you are better off searching and finding it from the horses mouth.

IIRC 2 years as an installer working for a licensed CCTV company, then some money, then you can get a managers licenese. Then to start a company you must have a licensed manager, liability insurance requirement, then a bunch more $. Then you have a licensed business.

IIRC $5k fine for each job performed without a license or using unlicensed personell.

Yes you need a license, google is a good friend to have. It's either Public Safety or the Dept of Health.

If I had specifics I would give them but you are better off searching and finding it from the horses mouth.

IIRC 2 years as an installer working for a licensed CCTV company, then some money, then you can get a managers licenese. Then to start a company you must have a licensed manager, liability insurance requirement, then a bunch more $. Then you have a licensed business.

IIRC $5k fine for each job performed without a license or using unlicensed personell.

that suks, remind me not to move there..

Don’t you have to have qualification, license, certification or something for running the low voltage wiring Involved? I think one has to in most of the U.S. anyway.

Don’t you have to have qualification, license, certification or something for running the low voltage wiring Involved? I think one has to in most of the U.S. anyway.

Yeah but for alarms (low voltage) correct me if Im wrong, its like a 3 day or 3 weeks multiple choice?

I really don’t know much about it. However, I know a guy that installs alarms and maybe a few surveillance systems and he has a low voltage license. As for the test, again, I don’t know. But, I could not imagine that low voltage testing would be all that much.

Thats depends on the state and possibly local code.

In OK you can install LV stuff with no license at all. Alarms, CCTV and access control all require licenses.

Yes, it depends on what state you reside. Somehow the bureaurats at the state and local levels require the need for more control and regulation. Everyone knows quality work can't be guaranteed by licensing. Just look at the building trades in general. People always hire so-called licensed contractors only to have sub-standard work performed. Ever had a bad haircut, a bad car repair or a incompetent doctor? My goodness already. The NEC sets the standards for Class 1,2 and 3 wiring. While I have no problem licensing class 1 and alarm systems for safety reasons, other class 2 and 3 should be left alone. State employees what more power and the larger companies want this regulation to make it hard for the small shops to operate. In the end, a customer will always have the courts to adjudicate poor tradecraft or business practices (not to mention that word-of-mouth can put the bad apples out of business).

LV permits are also coming, so that the cost of a retrofit speaker install will double. In Michigan, that's kinda thing to make us 50th, instead of a 49th ranked economy.....

You can apply for the license via the DPS website clikc under private security, hope this helps

In Washington State, you would want to contact the Dept of Labor and Industries. You will need to get a Limited Energy License and as others mentioned, be bonded.