jsavchak

Is this a good system? SVAT CV0104dvr and CV31 ...

My mother has had some theft occur in her neighborhood and asked me to install a video security system for her. She mentioned an inexpensive unit for under $200 at Staples, but after I spent time researching I've concluded that will not be a wise investment because of lack of quality.

There is a system that has caught my eye and I need an experience opinion before spending the cash.

Svat makes a 4-port DVR (simplex) with an internal web server. They package a kit with 4 outside cameras (tvl 380) IP68, 6mm). This package runs around $600-$700.

The kit is called CV0204dvr.

We only need to monitor the entrances to the house and record by motion.

These cameras are suppose to do this.

Will this package work for a while? and is the company reputable?

Your expert advice will be very much appreciated.

John

If your just looking to record up close at the entrances, this kit should work just fine for you. I would give it an overall life span of about 1.5 to 3 years before you experience issues with the electronics.

SVAT is pretty good about service and they've been around, so I wouldn't be too concerned about them.

Let us know how it goes. You won't find a better kit for the money. But again, this is only going to work covering your doors, I wouldn't try to use this to identify people walking by your house.

Link to Product: http://svat.com/productDisplay.php?id=195&categoryNumber=0

The CV31 cameras are 420TVL Sharp CCD.

Better than the CMOS cameras they also offer. Good choice.

Careful with close up shots and the 45 feet IR lights those cams have. You may bleach out peoples faces.

A small motion activated floodlight could work wonders for image quality at night.

I just got the stand alone unit and cameras yesterday but haven't had a chance to test them yet. Tomorrow will be a good day for me to set them out on the table to make sure they work. I'm also waiting for 500' of power cable and an AC/DC converter box for centralized power to come in.

I'll post again once I get them setup on the house.