RBraverman

Kodicom and backing data - VERY long time

Ok, I'm new to THIS software, but not so much to security. I've a 16 port card and V4.110 of Kodicom and have 3 main problems:

1. When I search remotely, it doesn't "fast forward", it'll skip through, but not FF as if sitting at the console.

2. When selecting a hour's worth of backup DATA, it'll take close to 3x the time of the selected time frame to backup over a gigabit connection.

3. On my desktop, the backup will stop randomly and never finish.

These seem to be problems, any ideas?

The "server" is a PIII/1 gig Celeron, with 512 meg memory.

Edited by Guest

Hi, firstly I would check with Kodicom or one of their system builders as they dont sell cards to end users. But more then likely its due to the PC system itself, 1Ghz CPU is very slow for Windows XP embedded or regular XP. Also, if the system is that old, it could be a bad hard drive also.

Hi, firstly I would check with Kodicom or one of their system builders as they dont sell cards to end users. But more then likely its due to the PC system itself, 1Ghz CPU is very slow for Windows XP embedded or regular XP. Also, if the system is that old, it could be a bad hard drive also.

I know the system is a bit old, runs XP Pro dandy, the HD's fine. I've assumed it's the speed of the 'server', so sometime in the next few days I'm going to put into a P4 and see.

But I'm also thinking that it's not converting anything, but just picking out the hour I selected, so why would the computing power have anything to do with it?

Its reading off the hard drive, the hard drive is always a bottle neck in a PC system, if its old or going bad, it could take longer to read from it ..

If its doing live video the same time you are trying to play back, that also affects the CPU. Do Ctrl-Alt-Del and check the CPU usage when you are doing that ... playing video still uses alot of CPU.

I had a hard time playing back video on a 1.8Ghz the other day, even on a P4. 3.0Ghz while there is live video going and trying to playback the same time, it can be touchy .. Dual Core is the way to go really .. if you can afford it, the 2.4 Core 2 Duo

PS. I have a 2 Ghz myself, had it for like 4 years now, had a DVR card in here with only 2 cameras on and off for a couple years, I always have to stop my recording (live video) when i want to play another movie, or it is jumpy.

Lastly, XP on a 1Ghz is pushing it anyway, even on a 2Ghz it is slow.

Its reading off the hard drive, the hard drive is always a bottle neck in a PC system, if its old or going bad, it could take longer to read from it ..

If its doing live video the same time you are trying to play back, that also affects the CPU. Do Ctrl-Alt-Del and check the CPU usage when you are doing that ... playing video still uses alot of CPU.

I had a hard time playing back video on a 1.8Ghz the other day, even on a P4. 3.0Ghz while there is live video going and trying to playback the same time, it can be touchy .. Dual Core is the way to go really .. if you can afford it, the 2.4 Core 2 Duo

PS. I have a 2 Ghz myself, had it for like 4 years now, had a DVR card in here with only 2 cameras on and off for a couple years, I always have to stop my recording (live video) when i want to play another movie, or it is jumpy.

Lastly, XP on a 1Ghz is pushing it anyway, even on a 2Ghz it is slow.

I disagree about the power - but I guess it's all relative - I've a lot of time to kill ...

Anyway, is there a quick way to stop the recording? I'd like to see - with the recording stopped, how fast the dl would be.

I still don't understand one thing, this should only be the TRANSFER of a defined set of data - NOT a full conversion (I'm backing up data, not an avi).

Your PC specs should be fine. Your version of software is a problem. It was never an official release. This version of software you are using was only sold with counterfeit product from China.

Your PC specs should be fine. Your version of software is a problem. It was never an official release. This version of software you are using was only sold with counterfeit product from China.

REAL card, real software - if it isn't what version IS the lastest that is legit?

Everyone seems to be starting on the version of software and illegality first thing.

We had two (real) Kodicom systems, both slow as snails. We were told it had to do with the "K compression". It kills the cpu when you need to back up files. I think they are the slowest in the industry. Just my humble opinion.

4.13's the official release.

And if i am not wrong, that's the last release. No more support for this version of card. They change the design and software to fight piracy.

Used to deal in kodicom product as well. But too difficult when all the pirated cards and software start coming in, prices different too much. And kodicom doesn't even bother to work with local authorised dealer to combat the piracy through law enforcement . We kinda just gave up trying to push their product.

But as of all DVRs, backup is always slow. Most time, it's only realistic to do backup of INCIDENT, and not backup a few hours or few days. Most dvr will take close to real time (depending on the resolution and quality you recorded at) to do the backup. Just take as a reference. Just cloning a 80GB HDD using norton ghost (i.e. giving full system resources to the cloning on a pc based system) takes abt 40mins. Do the maths yourself considering the fact that you are NOT cloning, and the DVR is doing other things at well.