ravedog

Yet Another Newbie says 'hi' and asks for advice

hello all.

Been lurking for a couple weeks... trying to study up. But it seems that my head is about to explode from the sheer quantity (and sometimes conflicting) information.... so here goes:

My parents have asked me to add cctv to their house. Seems a simple statement. I'm fairly technical and can solve most challenges when i have the time and patience... both of which i have at this moment for this task.... although the more i delve into this subject it seems that EXPERIENCE is the most needed qualification... unless I'm overestimating the challenge.

THE BASICS:

6 cameras - all outdoor - all IR... 2 need to see at most 15-20'... 1 needs to see about 8'.... 2 about 40'... and 1 around 100'.

DVR - embedded - or pc based. this seems to be a question i cannot answer. i'd rather be able to purchase something that's turnkey, be able to operate with an IR remote (although keyboard and mouse is possible), and above all it has to be friendly.... after all if THEY cannot operate it, then the system is useless. I have already resigned myself to not being able to remotely operate/manage it remotely as none of us use pc's... all mac users (and none can use parallels or other vm software to use xp as that requires a new intel mac.... all our Mac's are PPC based systems.... why doesn't anyone use java instead of active-x - but i digress)

i'd prefer a system that has a name behind it and a warranty... as soon as i get them up and running - i'll more than likely be leaving the area. Which leads me to another question: should i just hire someone locally to do everything? if so, how do i scrutinize their bids and their equipment?

The things that scare me the most is knowing what exactly to buy... a couple weeks ago, i poked around the net, found a retailer, purchased cameras and a DVR, and i returned everything because out of the box one camera was dark and the IR remote for the dvr didn't work. Needless to say, I wasn't left with a warm fuzzy feeling. So I'm a tad nervous about buying off the net without being able to see a picture from a camera or being able to see an interface.

So I'm stuck. Thanks for hearing me out.

Dont you guys have any licensing restrictions there, can anyone do CCTV?

I belive Ravedog is doing his own home installation.

You might want to ask this guy

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9452&highlight=

Ravedog, Rory collated some great threads on IR and low light camera situations.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6122

The only Java based web viewer I know of is an option with the Axis IP cams.

Sure there are others. That may deserve a new post. Its an interesting point.

The only Java based web viewer I know of is an option with the Axis IP cams.

Sure there are others. That may deserve a new post. Its an interesting point.

Generally its Quality & Features problems.

I did demo one that was pretty decent, though as far as i know it still required windows, even though the entire thing was in Java!

If you want to do a system by yourself you can do it! It is not simple. Matching a DVR (PC/embedded), cameras, lens, IR distance, and making it work, and doing in a budget is the hard part.

When you put your system together think like a pro!

Where does the sun rise, and where does it set. At any time of the day will a camera be blinded by the sun?

Think about summer vs winter. Where will the sun be in winter?

I receive a lot of repair jobs right around winter time. DIY will install cameras that do not work in the dark. Every thing is great during the summer. It gets dark around 9pm, and most people leave their business at 6. In the winter time it gets dark around 5:30 pm. When they cannot see the parking lot, and the cars they get a little nervous. The next day I am the first check mark on their to do list. Fix cameras.

If I know what DVR I am going to use then I "work" my way backwards to determine what kind of camera I am going to use. The camera will determine what kind of power supply I will use.

If I know what camera I am going to use then I work backward to determine the correct DVR for the camera.

Will you use the internet? This will determine the DVR, and from there you can match a camera to the DVR.

Budget verses Security is of the Essence! Budget = less cameras. Security is of the Essence (S/E) = more cameras. More to see, or one camera watching another camera.

Budget = cheap lenses. S/E = the finest ground glass that you can afford with special coatings on the lens.

Budget = no weather resistant cameras. S/E = Water proof, and impact resistant, and the camera cannot be moved with a stick, or a mop.

Budget = sacrifice the distance view, and gain peripheral vision. S/E Sacrifice peripheral to gain zoom on the object, (add more cameras).

Budget = plug, and play. S/E A well thought out plan, a well thought out design, a well thought out install, testing all equipment before an install, testing all of the equipment after it is installed, and an after install comparison to the specs, and design. Did you build it to the specs, and does it match the design?

I would always recommend hiring someone to come out and design, and install your video surveillance system. You will wish you hired someone when someone gets a way with a crime because there was not enough information in the video to go beyond all reasonable doubt in the court of law. ( OK so maybe he hired a million dollar lawyer, and pleaded down to a lessor crime).

If you are buying budget entry level IR cameras make sure you buy cameras that have IR distances that are double the distance from the camera to the area you will be watching.

30 foot IR cameras are common in the USA. You are looking in to your yard about 10 feet from your house, or so. This will illuminate an object, or a person. The farther you go the better your camera needs to be.

Get ready for some fun!

Scorpion