rkoechel99

camera install problem

I have a geovision 1480 with mace cameras. I ran a siamese cable 200 ft and hooked it up to power and the dvr. I tested both and the voltage at the camera is 12v dc and the video cable passes the signal test on my fluke. Problem is the geovision says video lost so apparently no picture is received. I change ports on the fanout cable and I switched out the camera with one that is working and I even restarted the dvr. I'm stumped any ideas?

always best to test the video first (as mentioned above) before putting it on the DVR.

If you are an installer you can get one through your distributor most likely.

If you are not an installer then I would recommend getting out a 13" TV out of your closet, or you can buy one at wally world, or the big red bullseye store for about $85.00. Just make sure that it has a yellow rca connector on the front, or the back.

(This is written for others who read this post. You seem to know electronics pretty good. Please excuse the "basics").

TVs are automatically pulling video off the screw on connector on the back called the F connector. Here is how you can get video with the yellow RCA connector...

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=41

On some TVs to activate the composite signal it is a simple as pressing the channel down button until you get to channel 2. When you press the down button one more time this will activate the AUX, or GAME input. This should bring back your video. If it does not, then you may have to find the remote control to the TV, and you will have to find a button that is marked as one of the following:

SOURCE, or INPUT, Aux, or the button may be marked as GAME. Press this button, and it should reactivate your composite signal input. For those TVs with multiple inputs, you may have to press this button several times. You will see an On Screen Display (OSD), and it will show you input 1, input 2, input 3, input 4, and so forth. It may show High Definition 1 (HD), High Definition 2, S video, Composite 1, and Composite 2. Keep pressing your button until the composite is highlighted. On some TVs you may have to press a "select" button after you have highlighted composite.

I do not know how you were able to read a 12 volt reading with a meter.

I believe this was a reading with out a load (meaning the camera was not hooked up at the time of the reading). Figure a way to plug the camera back in, with a way to take a voltage reading with the camera as the load.

I made a rig where I have a male, and a female plug that has been soldered together. I put this in line with the camera, and then I can get my reading under load.

Since you are running siamese it should be pretty easy to get the reading with the butt connectors, or twist on caps, or what ever you are using.

How to trouble shoot cameras

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=42

.......If you have video at the camera, then this tells us that you are getting power to the camera, and the camera is putting out a video signal! This means the power side of your cable is OK! This means the problem with the wire is on the video side of your cable. If you do not have video then the power side of your cable is bad. There may be a situation that the wire is ok, but the connectors on the end are giving you the problem. Disconnect the cable to your camera, and your TV, and reconnect the cable to your camera. You can try wiggling the connector on the back of the camera, and on the back of your DVR, (or your recording device), and see if your video "pops" in, and out. If your video pops in, and out then this connector is what is giving you the grief. You can wiggle it to the point that it stays on until you can get a new cable to replace it. ........(or recrimp a new crimp on connector).

I hope this was of some help.

Scorpion