recycle_bean

Can Geovision starts as service?

Can Geovision starts as service?

Because after restart my computer, GeoVision doesn't start automatically behind the scene. I am running Win2000 Server.

I read the manual, there is no where I can configure this.. help.

This works for any windows program you want to start on start up. (Our installer does this for us automaticly.) Make a shortcut for the program. Then place the shortcut in the startup folder in the users Document and Settings folder.

Given that for something like this, you want a 98% uptime, I wouldn't try to force the program into being something it's not.

You might be right Thomas, but as far as I understood, recycle_bean requires the logon system to stay intact, so unless geovision has this feature, I can't think of any better solution.

Try re-installing the Geo software. It will ask you whether you want it to automatically start when the PC boots (I forget the exact wording). I have also tried dragging a shortcut to the Startup Folder and that also works ok (with XP Pro). Don't forget to set Geovision to auto login.

Steve is right.. but if you need to log on in windows, you might want to run a script for that, I used to run Fire Daemon to do it as a service, but that was more so that if anyone closed it, it would automatically start up again.

This only works with Windows XP.

1) From the GeoVision System Configuration screen make sure "Start Monitor" is checked.

2) Go to a DOS Command Prompt and type the following command assuming you have a GV600 (change the path to whatever your installation is called).

sc create Geovision binpath= "C:\GV600\GV600.exe"

Make sure there's a space between binpath= and "C:\GV600....". It will tell you a new service has been created.

3) Go into the Services control panel and double click on the new Geovision service. Change the Startup Type to "Automatic".

4) Click on the "Log On" tab and then check the box that says "Allow service to interact with desktop".

5) Restart the computer and GeoVision will start automatically without anyone having to log in.

*coughs* The login for W2k can be bypassed on startup unless the user is on a domain. I posted the instructions. Simply adding the program to startup would allow for what recycle bean needs.

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated.

I am using Win 2000 Server, I think that login-bypass only works for Win 2000 professional. Even I am not with domain controller, just workgroup, I still can't find settings on win2k Server that let me bypass login. maybe win2K server is designed that way? correct me if I am wrong.

I also tried using FireDeamon to start as service. Yes it works but for some reasons it made the Geovision Playback server not working. Arrr....

Server can do it as well, but it's not ment to. (Most of what server does can be done without logging in at all, like being a domain controller, ect) To do it in W2k Server requires a registry hack. MS lists the registry hack in the knowage base article I linked to. But if you don't mind my asking, why use w2k server?

Thanks! The reason of using Win 2K server was because the server has been setup a while ago, it is also a File server on the LAN. So, I don't want to touch it as long as it works.

I will try the registry hack later. Thanks for all your help..

i have a problem, i add a gevision like a service, i did all of this steps

the application is run in background mode.

how i do for view the application in interactive mode.

how i can view the aplication ?

thanks

This only works with Windows XP.

1) From the GeoVision System Configuration screen make sure "Start Monitor" is checked.

2) Go to a DOS Command Prompt and type the following command assuming you have a GV600 (change the path to whatever your installation is called).

sc create Geovision binpath= "C:\GV600\GV600.exe"

Make sure there's a space between binpath= and "C:\GV600....". It will tell you a new service has been created.

3) Go into the Services control panel and double click on the new Geovision service. Change the Startup Type to "Automatic".

4) Click on the "Log On" tab and then check the box that says "Allow service to interact with desktop".

5) Restart the computer and GeoVision will start automatically without anyone having to log in.