iggy

looking to build new system - home user

I am new to cctv but have been lurking this forum for some time. I am finally ready to try and build my own system.

I am looking to setup outdoor cameras (3) It is fairly well lit. PC based to record.

Here is the list I have put together but I am not sure if it meets the things I want to do:

-color/IR bullet cameras

-PC based software

GV604 - 4 Port Card and Software

GeoVision seems to be popular here. I wanted to make sure to use a PCI board that would also allow me to hookup one of my regular TVs to view as well.

- I already have an extra system - Asus p4800, 1 gig mem, large HD etc.

Is there anything I am missing? does the geovision allow me to not only use my PC but to use the TV for monitoring as well?

I'd recommend a good quality UPS. Go for one that has voltage regulation as well as line conditioning. I use a Belkin Regulator Pro Gold 525VA and I'm very happy with it.

Ensure you have efficient cooling.

The Geo card will not provide an extra output to your TV unless you buy an optional display card (GV-DSP). I wouldn't rely on the TV output from your graphics card as the image will probably not be very good.

Xp Pro is a good choice of operating system.

perfect. I'm going to try and get things going on this and hope to have the system in place in the next 3 weeks. I'm going to buy one camera and see how it does then buy the other 3 based on its performance.

if it is " It is fairly well lit."

do not buy any ir camera you do not need it

save the money and get a better camera hi res wdr day/nite

all bulet cameras are poor choice for good image cctv system

bulet camera is only if noting else will work for what you need to do or you want low cost solution

and good lens good size image sensor is a limiting factor of all bulet cameras

bigger the lens and the sensor the better the camera

only the drive to make it cheep is making it all geting smaller and a spycam

in a button (1/6" ccd for cctv what a crap)

i just seen new canon 17mil pixel 35mm cmos sensor at ~5000 x 3300 res

and that is what we all need and 0.0001lx sensitivity and for that you need size so you can see at nite no light just star light or moon light and have good dynamic light range

dusan