MichaelB14

Home Security Advice

I have been reading and reading and reading and reading about cctv over the last couple of weeks. I know what I need somethng to do, but not quite sure what the something should be...

Here is my criteria..

I have a boat dock where my boat was stripped of all electronics along with all ski gear. I also have a probem with kids jumping off my dock.

I would like a camera:

1. Monitoring the dock (motion sensor). I really care about night time more than day time on this one.

2. Monitoring the houseboat. This is more just to be able to look and make sure everything is alright.

3. A camera that I just point down the lake to see what is going on.

I also have a pond in my front yard that gets soap poured in it alot so a motion camera there also.

So I am thinking 4 cameras. I am not really looking at wanting to record everything on all cameras all the time. I would like to record from the motion sensors when they are tripped and would mind also recording from the other cameras at the same time. It would also be great if it could turn lights on when this happens. I would also like to be able to view this from the internet.

What dvr card? Geovision? Is it really worth it for me to get the 120fps or just the 60 fps?

What kind of cameras do you suggest? Where can I get them?

Lastly, I can build my own computers no problem. Is there any conflicts I should be aware of?

I hope I have provided enough information.

I don't mean this as a flame, and if it gets that tone then I apologise now. As far as the camera's go, hire a professional. I deal with a number of DIYers and the all call up complaining that product X makes thier camera look like crap and will ours make it look better? You talk to them for a few mins and you realise that they have a ground loop on one camera, they have cheap bullets for the rest, the camera's arn't focused, or they are trying to see too wide of an area without the right lens...and they will never, ever belive that the problem is thier cameras, or thier wiring, or thier placement, ect. Building the systems isn't hard, but doing a good job of setting up your cameras is very hard. You'll be much happier in the long run by spending the money.

Spot on Thomas, couldn't agree more!

Only slight problem is finding 'professionals' who know what they are doing!

The difference between someone who does CCTV as their profession, and someone who is thoroughly professional in the way they do CCTV, is quite considerable.

If MichaelB14 wants to have a go for himself, I'm sure he will get some solid technical support on this forum.

geovision is best for you to start,good software and open website for download

so far you can not update 4 ch to 8 ch or up so its best if you buy more than you need 16 ch

gv800 16 ch is good in midle start and 4 ch sound ,and talk back speaker for outside as for computer use asus p4c800e-delux mboard,see my post for rest of hadware info

cameras at the moment are not that good yet so use best you can afford low light 0.005 or better wide dynamic range and 470 res or more like toshiba ik-64wda ~$400 + lens f1.0 or better,new camera product for daylight only wdr ge ultraview looks better than baxall hyperd

so you need b/w as night camera,or use strong outside lights

and like protech or less costly outdoor dual detectors for alarm trigger and light switch w delay off,or separate ir switched lights 50 to 100ft range detection

and pda or cellphone for internet video / audio monitoring

i like to test mintron.com 62w1 1/2" camera ,specs look good,can not find a usa distributor

get good parts and you can make it work or get junk and you will need fbi to decode your video

how much money you want to spend on this project ?

dusan