CCTV_Suppliers

Power Supplies

Curious what power supplies everyone use who may be building or repairing DVRs?

With increased systems performance, more storage capacities, there is a serious need for more power, more efficiency of power supplies and ones that last you longer.

How do you determine what wattage power supply do you need vs. what you actually require?

If its PC based DVRs, once its just a standard 1 card system (along with the PCI Vid Card), I use 350-400watt PSUs, as that is more than enough power. Rackmount system though where im adding like 4+ Hard Drives, I used 500watt PSUs, though thats mainly just so it is upgradable and wont fail when additional cards and other hardware is added.

Here is a link:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8019

If its PC based DVRs, once its just a standard 1 card system (along with the PCI Vid Card), I use 350-400watt PSUs, as that is more than enough power. Rackmount system though where im adding like 4+ Hard Drives, I used 500watt PSUs, though thats mainly just so it is upgradable and wont fail when additional cards and other hardware is added.

Here is a link:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8019

How do you know that you basic system requirement gets covered by 350-400W PSU? Or better yet, how do you know that 4 hard drive based system actually will require 500W?

Is your decision based on experience or facts on these values? Will be possible that you basic system could require less than 350W, if you knew that for a fact or what if you need more than 500W or your rack mountable DVRs?

What make and models do you use and why? Do you care for power supplies efficiency factor or better yet, accuracy of power rating?

Only few questions that is all...

Because Im running systems in the field with 350 watt PSUs.

Also, if you use the Calculators you will see the basic configurations only need approx 200watts. Basically use the calculators and knock it up a notch, and you will be safe. Entry level today is 350 watts. Could a 180 or 200 watt push a DVR, sure, Geo is doing it (onboard video, etc), but I dont have time nor $$ for hardware R&D.

Ive used Antec and Coolmax with good results.

Because Im running systems in the field with 350 watt PSUs.

Also, if you use the Calculators you will see the basic configurations only need approx 200watts. Basically use the calculators and knock it up a notch, and you will be safe. Entry level today is 350 watts. Could a 180 or 200 watt push a DVR, sure, Geo is doing it (onboard video, etc), but I dont have time nor $$ for hardware R&D.

Ive used Antec and Coolmax with good results.

Ok fine, be that way.. "do not have time or money for hardware R&D...

May be someone else wants to discuss about this...

Well if I was in the US, and into selling DVRs, I would contract a manufacturer to build me a custom mini case to put the Geo card in, actually you can buy some ready made but they look shabby .. then yes use 180/200watt PSUs, using on board video, the small mobos and embedded XP, (limited HDD size, easily do 1x750Gb though) minor customizing of the Geo software and run it in a non explorer shell .. (already done), I would stick my name on it and start selling it ...

but I cant do that down here

Anyway, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6, Micro ATX Asus Mobo, 2GB DDR2, 1x 500GB HDD, PCI-e 256 X1300 Video Card, Geo Gv1120 DVR Card (Dsub), CDRW, 350watts is fine.

Edited by Guest

No, a mini PC DVR ...

Mini ITX

geo has one but its expensive: Plus id rather it in black.

65713_1.jpg

would use riser cards for the DVR card .. etc .. researched it but just cant do it from here.

I am tinkering with this box...

http://www.hammer-storage.com/images/products/myshare/2bay-155.jpg

It is a NAS box that takes up to 2TB internal storage... based or RISK technology... We have a basic DVR system working perfectly with IP cameras and with external video encoders, no limit how many cameras we can bring to it... using proprietary software from one of our manufacturers.. hopefully when we are done with the R&D, we can start selling... Mainly to be used for Banking industry (ATMs) and from small mom & pop operators...

The hammer storage have other boxes that could work for other apps... here is their url: http://www.hammer-storage.com/default.asp

The box itself could be used as external storage module for most DVRs connected via Ethernet or USB.. Fairly cost effective, 1TB system costs around $400 or less...

I guess one factor is how you plan on treating customers.

You can either give them room for expansion (ie more drives, bigger, faster drives etc or other upgrades like cpu etc that require more power) so they dont have to buy a new power supply, or a new DVR to upgrade. Or you can design one that uses the exact amount of power needed, and the customer cant upgrade anything without getting a new PSU. If you get a custom PSU, then they may need to even get a new case or entire DVR its its a non-standard PSU.

Once things start to get produced in massive bulk, psu's are often just boards bolted onto the chassis, and custom designed or ordered for that specific model. Cheap for the manufacturer, but crap for the end user that needs a repair or upgrade when its out of warranty...

Its going to be hard to r&d off the shelf PSU's anyway, as companies source components from different suppliers sometimes, or designs change, and tolerances also mean the quality of the same model psu may vary slightly over multiple units, or time.

Like the problem with the electrolytics in capacitors a few years ago, no amount of R&D testing off the shelf boards and PSU's would have stopped them from ending up with dead capacitors years later... Its all a gamble when you dont source and make every bit yourself ...