shawndang

16 ch dvr with remote viewing for Liquor store.

Hello I am looking for recomendations for 16ch DVR. Our business is liquor store. We recently bougt an Apex 16ch dvr and don't like it. Lots of technical bugs in it.

we currently have 14 cameras and will add 2 more soon. the features I am looking for are remote viewing (we have dsl). Friendly gui, easy to use, possibilty of backing up to USB stick, dvd and HD. I am currently using 2 500 gig HD's and that give me roughly 3 days worth of recording, not enough. I'd like to have atleast a week's worth. Remote would be a plus and a good compression alogrithm.

What frame rate and resolution are you using with this DVR?

Unless you are pushing full FPS on all channels without motion and resolutions at highest, it does not make sense getting only 3 days of recording with 1TB storage...

This is the Resolution: NTSC 720 x 240/360 x 240, PAL 720 x 288/ 360 x 288.

On a side note does a cctv display matter as for as resoultion of dvr, camera ---> to the monitor. We are currently using a basic crt TV via rca connection. We plan on getting a 32" LCD tv. Are there better options?

The frames rates are set to max for all channels. Here is the dvr I am currently using. Samclub site item number 206855 The board wont let me post a link because I am a new user.

I am using full frames on all channels and using motion activation on all.

I would also like to have audio on atleast 1 channel.

I would prefer embedded unless pc is a superior. I thought embedded is the way to go as they don't crash etc(although this clover resets quite often on its own.)

This is the Resolution: NTSC 720 x 240/360 x 240, PAL 720 x 288/ 360 x 288.

On a side note does a cctv display matter as for as resoultion of dvr, camera ---> to the monitor. We are currently using a basic crt TV via rca connection. We plan on getting a 32" LCD tv. Are there better options?

The frames rates are set to max for all channels. Here is the dvr I am currently using. Samclub site item number 206855 The board wont let me post a link because I am a new user.

I am using full frames on all channels and using motion activation on all.

I would also like to have audio on atleast 1 channel.

I would prefer embedded unless pc is a superior. I thought embedded is the way to go as they don't crash etc(although this clover resets quite often on its own.)

I am not familiar about Clover box, so I can not explain why it resets or why these problems occur..

Looks like it is embedded system... at the moment I can not figure out the operating system it uses nor the compression that this box comes with - with little more research, I am sure we will have it.... and here are the specs...

# Triplex (playback/ record/ live view simultaneously) in multi-screen mode

# Built-in PTZ control

# Remote controlling and monitoring via TCP/IP

# System control by PS/2 mouse or keys

# Zoom 32x linear digital

# Jog/shuttle ring

# Compatible with VGA monitor or TV/composite monitor

# TV system: NTSC 60 fields/sec., PAL 50 fields/sec.

# Resolution: NTSC 720 x 240/360 x 240, PAL 720 x 288/ 360 x 288

# Video inputs: 16 BNC, 1.0Vp-p composite 75 ohms

# Video outputs: 16 looping (BNC), 1.0Vp-p composite 75 ohms, 1 VGA, 1 main monitor, 1 slave monitor, 1 S-VHS

# Real time display: 480 frames/sec.

# Recording frame rate: 120 frames/sec., programmable 1 to 120 frames/sec.

# Algorithm: Wavelet

# Compression rate: 4:1 to 250:1

# Recording: Schedule, manual, event recording by motion detection and alarm sensor

# Hard disk drive: Up to 1 TB (4 bays), built-in 160GB

# Replay: Forward, backward (fast, normal, stop, pause)

# Back up: USB driver, Ethernet, removable HDD

# Alarm in: 16 inputs

# Alarm output: 4 relay outputs (4A max)

# Network: Ethernet 10/100M

# RS485: Pan/tilt, remote control

First, lets understand where the problem may be for your current system.

The "recording frame rate" is rated at 120FPS and it gives you several "Recording" modes...

Default setting for "Recording" modes normally should be "event recording by motion detection" in order to conserve hard drive space... chances are this is not set correctly...

Your recording frame rate being 120FPS should give you maximum of 7.5FPS available per port if all the ports are recording... which is higher than it needs to be, but it all depends on the recording mode. You can always reduce to less than 4FPS with higher resolution...

The only way that you will get 3 days of recording with these above specs is if you record always (which is the manual setting) and at 7.5FPS rate or higher (manual setting allows you select frames per second setting per channel, so you can record certain cameras higher frames per second and lower for others).. OR - Sams Club offers this system starting with 160G... Did you add the hard drives yourself or bought it already with (2) 500GB drives? There may be a setting issues dependent on your answer...

My suggestion is the embedded systems provide basic essentials for what you need, including single channel audio record... Before any recommendations are made, what are your expectations? What do you want your DVR to do, if known? I do not want to loose you with technical jargons and I rather try to understand in basic terms that you can describe what your needs are...

Let us know and I am sure other members will also jump in to help..

Well my expectaions are rock solid performance, easy of use, easy to copy certain incidents to a dvd/cd, good support, remote is a plus, high resolution and 480fps.

shawndang, I did not ask for your "dream" system

Once you cross 120FPS, all of our embedded systems will comply everything you ask, except 480FPS parameter...

May be Rory and other members can put together for you a Geovision solution that I am sure will comply with FPS characteristics... and the rest of the requirements.. I am not familiar with Geo or other basic, yet very functional solutions... Rather, solution that we have come from major manufacturers only... i.e. Panasonic, Sanyo, Bosch, American Dynamics, GE Security, Mitsubishi to name of few..

Pricing from the above manufactures will be higher than what other members can put together using more conventional Geo or similar solution.

Example, all your parameters, including 480FPS box from major manufacturers could give you following estimates:

1. American Dynamics solution (their Ultra series) between $7.5K to under $10K and it will meet all your needs..

2. Mitsubishi solution (their 5,000 series), between $5.7K to $7.5K and this model will meet all your needs..

And the rest fall little higher or lower on the above samples of pricing.

If you stay with 120FPS total recording arena, then the pricing will be substantially lower and still give you all the other features that you want.

Rory, any recommendation from Geo or any other models that will comply with shawndang's requirements?

If you stay with 120FPS total recording arena, then the pricing will be substantially lower and still give you all the other features that you want.

Considering the prices you mention. I will want to stay at 120FPS.

What do you think of the qsee QSNDVR16M I poking around and found this it also uses 120FPS. Here are the specs for it.

Recording Mode : Timer, Alarm, Motion Detection and Manual

Display Mode : Auto Switch, PIP, Full screen or 9 split screen.

Additional Port : RS485 port for PTZ camera

Network Connection : RJ45 port for 10/100BaseT Network

Playback : Search by Time, Event (Alarm or Motion Detection)

Compression standard : MPEG-4

Video output : 1 BNC, 1 S-Video, 1 VGA

Video input : Composite 1.0V p-p/75Ω,BNC×16

Alarm : 16x Alarm input and 1X Alarm output

Audio : 4X RCA for Audio input and 1 audio output

Display Resolution : up to 720x480

Recording Resolution : up to 720x480

Frames Rates : Display 480 FPS. Record: max 120 FPS (NTSC)shared by cameras

Hard Drive Size : Support up to 4 internal HDD up to 500 GB

Operating System Support : Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista

Size : 295(w)x75mm(h)x215 mm(d)

Back up : to USB external CD/DVD-RW

Power Sources : 110-240 V

Remote Viewing : Internet IE Browser and Client Program

Remote playback : Through Client program

Not familiar with it... Do not like its ability to take "up to 500GB storage" based on the specs...

Let me give you few options that are fairly cost effective, easy to use, some with and without CD burner, embedded and all will come between 3 years and up to 5 years warranty...

1. American Dynamics EDVR series - from 80G to 640G and with pricing between $1,300 to $2,000 - with 3 years warranty and this is an embedded system... CD burner standard.

2. Sanyo Cheetah series - from 80G to 600G and with pricing between $2,000 to $3,300 - with 3 years warranty and this is also an embedded system... CD burner is options, but does fall in the price range.

3. CBC DR-Series - You an purchase this DVR without hard drive or buy it pre-built with up to 750 from factory (we were able to install over 2TB internal storage buy using few 750GB drives). Pricing could range from $1,000 to $1,800 - with 3 years warranty and this is also an embedded system... and CD burner is options, but is covered between the price range...

4. Mitsubishi DX-TL4516U Series - from 250G to 1.6T and with pricing between $2,700 to $6,600. CD burner standard. It is embedded systems and comes with 5-Five years warranty.

All these models are extremely easy to use and easy to manage. Some come with proprietary remote view software and some (Sanyo) use Microsoft IE as a form of remote view. The warranty speaks by itself.

Dependent what you are willing to spend, anyone of these models could do the trick. I can tell you that the CBC version is very hot, as it also comes with remote control unit, that allows you to run all its functions with it.

Hope this helps... The above items are available everywhere, so you can shop and find the best deal possible... Regardless who sells it, the warranty is a manufacturer warranty, so if the seller does not give you the support, I am sure the manufacturer will..

Good luck!

I turnkey system from me with those specs runs about $4k USD. That includes power sources too.

You wire it up then call me ping my server and I'll config it remotely, after that all you do is call and I can control/modify it offsite.

You are basically skimming the borrom of the bucket with this Clover, Q See crap.

I turnkey system from me with those specs runs about $4k USD. That includes power sources too.

You wire it up then call me ping my server and I'll config it remotely, after that all you do is call and I can control/modify it offsite.

You are basically skimming the borrom of the bucket with this Clover, Q See crap.

Hey bud, what type of system is this anyway?

It depends on some variables, the servers are basically the same. I use the recording hardware based on the customers specific needs. In this instance he doesn't need much aside from D1@480fps and ease of use.

I guess I should have mentioned this thing is totally indepentant and mount on the wall. You can put the displays via composite multiplex wherever you choose. I can also add an amp/splitter of you want tons of displays however only Geovision and Netvision have provisions for full on Matrix control (that I know of).

If you want you can mount touchscreens on the front of it, but really that defeats the point of me making it look like a breaker box.

See the crown jewel for the thief is stealing the recorder, so don't make the damn thing obvious. For a couple bucks more I'll throw in a broken VCR to throw them off. Heck thats a damn good job for those Clover/Q See systems! Maybe they are good for something.