Noon

Multi user for geovision main system and Win xp

Hi there,

I have an employee and would like him to have access to main system under his own account on windows xp. Can I do that without having to exit main system under my account?

Not sure if you can have 2 main systems running at the same time. What we do if an additional user wants to view is use the webcam multiview on a LAN, or just a straight crossover if they aint connected to a network. Dont think you can remotely control Geo functions though

I don't use Geovision, but windows XP has a feature called fast user switching. The problem with it is that it doesn't share drivers in use very well.

I don't use Geovision, but windows XP has a feature called fast user switching. The problem with it is that it doesn't share drivers in use very well.

That's part of the problem Thomas. I tried to use switching users but, Geovision will auto load and the error message appears.

Yeah, fast user switching is a bad hack to try to allow the NT family multi-user capability. As you learned, it doesn't work so well.

As CCTVINSTALLER suggested it seems like LAN is the only way to go. Tried to play with installing Geovision as a service and other things with no luck. I'm going to try a center over LAN See if this will solve it. I have another question; can Geocenter v2 be installed for internet connection or is it limited to intranet? I have connected to center remotley with no problem but, Geocenter v2 is not going through.Any suggestion? Your help is appreciated.

Ceneter version 2 works ok over internet, make sure you create the accout first in the Cenetr sogftwrae and be sure you turn on Center version2 not center version 1... as for multiple accounts, in Geo you can have as many as you want, but why not set your user that you want to have access. as the defualt log in so it is always him then juts log in and out when you want to use yours?

I am not sure what the problem with doing this is for you, but if you explain more I may be able to help

Remember to configure the router / firewall at the CenterV2 end.

CenterV2 uses the following ports: TCP 5546, 5547, 5548, 5549

These will need to be forwarded to the CenterV2 local IP address.

Depending on your router / firewall you may need to do this at the GeoVision end also. (forwarding to the GeoVision's local IP)

Also check to make sure that if your Windows Internet Firewall is enabled, make sure it is configured properly.

Ok here's an update!

As for Center v2 it worked and I don't know how! I opened additional ports for it (ports 5546-5549 were forwarded already but added 3550-6550) and connected to centerv2 while the system was not monitoring, so one of these two things did it I'll experiment later and let you know which one. As for the additional user, what I'm trying to do is to have the user log to geosystem from the same computer but under his own win xp account for some privacy concerns. This one is giving me some trouble because the system is already running under my account on xp and it fails to load upon switching users. I tried to exit system and log in to xp under the user account after even logging off as admin from xp but didn't work either ( a message:" faild to do a registery entry "appears and geocenter exits) I tried it with giving the user a limited account and with giving him an admin account,which I do not intend to do but just did it for sake of trying,with no luck. I also treid running Geovision as a service and disabled the startup, the service loads fine but same results for user account. This is my story for now, what do yo suggest?

Install geo on both accounts, run a process montior that starts Geo everytime it is not running, you could use fire daemon, but not the free version as it hogs some memory resources used by Geo for some apps, you could test the freeware though to test the theory.. running the process monitor should make geo always be on, but will be hard if your using it for other work like word etc, you will have to disable the process montior and exit every time you want to do something else