adamk

Quicktime compatible files

Hello all,

Apologies in advance for my lack of background in this area. I'm a museum researcher, not a security person. I'm looking into security systems as a way to capture 4 cameras simultaneously. Ideally, we'd like to record each camera at full D1 resolution and 30fps, but are willing to accept compromise on one or the other if necessary. Also, because we need to use Mac-only analysis software that uses Quicktime as an engine, we need to be able to create files that are playable with Quicktime with specific characteristics- codec, keyframe rate, etc. Finally, it would be nice if the system could control two PZT cameras.

The products that have seemed the most promising so far are the GeoVision 2004, and the Aventura line, as they both produce high quality video. The problem has been that I've been unable to transcode the files they produce so that they're playable with Quicktime.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

I can get the GeoVision files to open with Windows Media player and RealPlayer (both directshow based) but neither of these programs has provisions for encoding, so I can't create a Quicktime compatible file with them.

The Aventura files won't play with anything except this little player they sent me. When I tried to open the file with Windows Media Player, it didn't recognize it as a movie file. The sales rep sent me a codec installer, which let WMP open the file, but there's no image, and my requests for more help from them have been ignored.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Any suggestions on different approaches to meet our requirements are really appreciated.

Thanks!