Abrasive

DVR card dilemma & introduction

Hello, I'm new to CCTV and have been doing a lot of reading trying to determine which DVR card is right for me. A little about me, I'm a computer hardware enthusiast, as well as a programmer. Looking forward to learning about CCTV systems

My problem is it is hard to find information on them to compare them. Unlike other computer hardware, nobody seems to do side-by-side reviews and comparisons of this type of hardware. I seem to be having the most trouble finding the right DVR card, so I guess I'll start here

1. Which cards have Windows XP software? Linux software?

2. Does the DVR card have a large effect on the quality of the video recorded?

3. Does DVR software generally allow you to share real time video over the network, or is that usually reserved for IP cameras?

4. Should I assume cards are restricted to Intel chips/chipsets, or is that mainly just Geovision?

5. Is there a list of common cards available?

6. Where are some safe places I can be sure I won't purchase a pirate card? I'm in the U.S.

7. Does software come with all DVR cards?

8. Is any generic DVR software recommended over the software that may come with the card?

Good advice is much appreciated!

have some answers for you and hope other would fill in

1. Most of the dvr cards are offered in window based since window os is the most common. I know of linux based card from original supplier but i do not know if i am permitted to give out their names. Some offer them with DOM while others just image.

2. Yes, the quality of the your card is directly related to the quality of your recording.

3. Yes, generally speaking, you can attain almost realtime display on LAN, but personally i have never seen a realtime display on the internet yet. Maybe realtime display for one channel/ two channel but never for a 16 channel. Again, personally i mean. Bandwidth limitation.

4. Most of the dvr card including GV, would recommend Intel chipset motherboard.

5. I would also like to see a list of the most common dvr card available. Hope someone would post a list very soon. Anyone?

6. You could start by looking for those paid advertisement in this site. Not the one by google ads.

7. Yes, all legitimate dvr card should be package with their original software.

8. In my opinion, if you purchased an orginal dvr card, why settle for a generic software? Those who settle for generic software usually are those who have pirated cards or original card which already lost it's identity.

first, i am agree with sounds

second, our company has the common cards, and we have high quality cards too.

1. Which cards have Windows XP software? Linux software?

Most are developed for Windows. There are a few less well known ones for Linux, though I dont personally know of any that do both. Windows versions typically will have more features, though that depends on the card and software used.

2. Does the DVR card have a large effect on the quality of the video recorded?

Somewhat, more so with hardware compression. With the non Hardware compression cards the video compression is performed by the DVR software, and the compression methods and their end result vary from one card to the next. Along with that, quality is also effected by the camera used, the lighting and/or glare within the cameras FOV, and other settings in the DVR software.

3. Does DVR software generally allow you to share real time video over the network, or is that usually reserved for IP cameras?

It will depend on the bandwidth. It will be no different in that respect than IP cameras, except that you will typically use less bandwidth for CCTV cameras in comparison to MegaPixel IP cameras due to the lower resolution. Again it will vary depending on the camera quality, whether they are color or BW cameras, upload speed from the DVR/NVR, remote user's download speed, software and compression used, among others.

4. Should I assume cards are restricted to Intel chips/chipsets, or is that mainly just Geovision?

As already mentioned most companies will suggest Intel. That's not to say you cant run some cards on other chipsets, just that some of the cards will not run properly on anything other than an Intel Chipset. For example I have run the GeoVision Gv250 on an Via Chipset for some time now, without any problems, though it is not suggested. I have also in the past used SIS chipsets for the GV800, with no problem. Best to stick with Intel though, however sometimes issues occur even with those.

5. Is there a list of common cards available?

Not that I know of. And depends what you mean by cards. Many DVR "manufacturers" only write the software, and use cards from manufacturers that just make the cards, Eg. GeoVision, Video Insight, and many more, are actually Software Developers. So the question would be do you mean the DVR companies that call themselves manufacturers, or the actual manufacturer of the cards?

6. Where are some safe places I can be sure I won't purchase a pirate card? I'm in the U.S.

Any of the banner ads located at the top of this page. There are others as well, but it is not always easy to tell the difference. Typically though if it is too cheap, or if it comes from Hong kong, then it is more times than not, a pirate card.

7. Does software come with all DVR cards?

Yes. Basically most (not all though) DVR "manufacturers" are only Software Developers. The actual manufacturers typically provide SDKs to them. So either way software will come with the card.

8. Is any generic DVR software recommended over the software that may come with the card?

Typically not. If it is a very low quality DVR company with extremely cheap cards and unproductive software, then perhaps yes, as the software could be rubbish. In that case the only one I could recommend with good consience is LuxRiot. However, you would first need to get some generic drivers working for the card and that is not always easy.