Metal Shaper Man

Daylight Savings Time Change

I was wondering if the day light savings time change has affected the playback on PC based DVR cards like Geo for example. It seems as though the playback program is confused as to which file it wants to play between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM. Simply, because of the hour roll back, there are two separate videos or files recorded at the same time in one night therefore, making my video jump or flicker through the video between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM like it just doesn’t know which one to play.

I suspect each system is a little different. On a Milestone system I accessed this morning, when in 'browse' mode, the timeline along the right side continued to show non daylight savings time through the night. Now it has reverted to daylight savings time. If you drag the timeline backwards, the playback freezes at 2:00am and resumes when you hit 1:00 am. If you drag it in the other direction, it plays through from 1:00am to 2:00 am.

I am unable to access milestone.dk this morning, so maybe there are a lot of people trying to figure out if this is normal behavior or maybe their website is just down for maintenance.

By the way, in the computer operations space, there are also different approaches including, where practical, planning scheduled maintenance during the 'hour' and ensuring that no jobs or transactions can ever had duplicate timestamps. Another way is to record everything in GMT so local time doesn't matter.

Sure Verveillance it looks as though you are correct. Buy dragging to the time on the timeline the video plays normal. If I let it run from 1:00 AM while seeking the alarms on its own, the video flickers between the first and second recorded video stamped 1:00 through 2:00 AM. The bottom line is it appears you lose one hour of video due to daylight savings time.

I dont have anything here to verify anything right now, but the Geo files use the time stamp so that would be an issue. However, if it is set to motion, then its going to be rare that it would save the video at the same exact hour, minute and seconds, which is what the files are based on. So although the player might have some issues, the files might still be there in the folder.

Like you Rory, I highly suspect that the files are in the folders. I looked in the folders and clicked on the thumbnail view. Everything came up as a thumbnail except for a few files during that time period. That few files just show up as a file, no picture. As I said above, by dragging through the timeline to what would now be the new 1:00 AM or adjusted time, the video played fine. Common sense tells me that it plays correctly because I’ve passed the first set of 1:00 - 2:00 AM files. Anyway, I don’t know exactly what the conflict is. And, I guess it wouldn’t really matter unless the bank robbers decided to rob the bank between 1 and 2 in the morning during the time change. Nevertheless, I just found it interesting and wondered if the higher quality PC based DVR cards or programs did the same. I’m interested in the positive features and the problems the higher quality PC based DVR’s might have because I would like to try one in the near future.

As for my embedded DVR’S, the Panasonic WJ-HD316 went through the night with no problem. For example, it played different events between the two different 1:00 AM through 2:00 AM time periods. Simply, all that changed was the time stamp.

You could also change the file names (just the time or date part) for something out of the scope of the new times, then just do a database repair and it will show up as that new time in the Viewlog.