sonorabill

Self ping problem

I have an AVtech model 3, 4 channel DVR that I want to use over the internet.

So far I've been unable to get that to work and tried doing the simple things and see what does work. I can ping myself locally and that works. But if I use one of the remote ping websites (wormly), it will not ping me.

I use Zone Alarm firewall and have shut it down during this trial ping. The router I have is a Linksys WRT54G and I have unchecked all the boxes on its security control page. That made no difference. And I have disabled both the firewall & the router security at the same time with no difference.

My ISP is AT&T DSL. I called them about it, to see if they blocked something for my safety. They say they block nothing, even port 80 is open.

Any idea as to why I can't do a remote ping back to myself? I think once I can do this, maybe I'll have a chance at getting the rest to work. But seems like this is the simplest starting stage that should work.

Hi, have you done the port forwarding in the Router?

Applications & Gaming:

================

Application = DVR

Start = 80

End = 80

Protocol = TCP

IP Address = DVR's Local IP

Enable = Checked

Click Save Settings.

Forget Ping for now though, some ISPs block that, instead do a telnet:

TELNET IP PORT

The PC's Firewall should not have any effect either, as its after the router and the DVR is separate.

If I'm not mistaken, many routers do not respond to a ping from the WAN unless you disable that feature.

I just put my AVC782 on DMZ and it works perfectly.

I have port forwarding for port 80 enabled on the router 192.168.one.ten. Names for the last two so it should be OK for beginner in forum.

Not too sure what IP I should be using with the telnet command. The one for the router, or the one I got from dyndns or something else.

Also never used telnet before, just read about it on ms website. Think I'm using it correctly, but just got failures, maybe I just have the wrong IP address. Or just wrong command format. I do use it in the DOS prompt?

When I tried the PING it was w/o the DVR involved. Just trying to see if I could access back to my computer by itself w/o any further complications.

Once this all works my computer would located in my RV, so then only the router and DVR would be involved.

Oops got the general warning about a d d r e s s e s . I'll try again.

To clarify. I can see the cameras from the DVR on my computer using firefox browser. The DVR is at 192 dot 168 dot one dot ten. So java is updated and all is well. But when I try to see the cameras over the internet, nothing happens.

I was only trying ping to narrow down what I could determine was and wasn't working.

I have port 80 forwarded as TCP and the above a d d r e s s. I'm using ap web server version 1066. And I have set an account with dyn dns. But at login; do I use the domain name dyn dns assigned. Or do I use the a d d r e s s of the dyn dns site itself?

Also I've seen reference to the loop back 127 dot zero dot zero dot one. Not sure if that's what I should use for login. And to add to my confusion sometimes the manual says to use port 80 and then on another page says to use anything except 80. So I'm not at all sure I'm doing it right at all.

hi, first get it working with the IP, then work on the DDNS.

As to Telnet, goto Command Prompt, or type in Cmd at the Run box,

then at the DOS prompt enter:

telnet IP PORT

if it connects the screen will clear, if not it will fail and tell you.

I would try changing the port as Scorpion recommended.

OK, the Telnet command appears to work at my DVR address and port 80. I used both the run box in windows xp & the dos command line to check how each might differ. And both are the same.

The dos prompt goes black and the blue title line at the top of the little window says telnet and my dvr address.

I'm located in Sonora California. The AT&T here used to be SBC. I see references here of using port 8080. Should I switch to that as a precaution?

So I guess my back still wondering exactly what I'm supposed to plug into the login as far as some internet address?

This is what I’ve done.

1. In the Linksys router WRT54G Application & Gaming Tab/Port Range Forward

Application: DVR, Start: 80, End 80, Protocol TCP, IP Address to the DVR one dot ten, checked enable

2. Application & Gaming Tab/DMZ

Enable, DMZ Host IP Address to the DVR one dot ten (its a stand alone DVR AVTech model 3)

3. Application & Gaming Tab/Port Triggering

Nothing

4. Application & Gaming Tab/QoS

Nothing

1. In Linksys Setup Tab/Basic Setup

MTU: 1492, Local IP address: one dot one, Mask: dot zero, DHCP server: Enable, Starting IP Address: one dot hundred

2. Setup Tab/DDNS

Service: dyn dns,( User Name, password & host name for dyn dns), IP Address: my ATT DSL Modem

At the DVR front panel menu I did menu>advance>network> changed STATIC to DHCP

DNS left it at the factory default setting?? Maybe needs to be something else?

PORT left it at 80

Now try a startup and login of the Web Server Program at my computer

User name: DVR factory default

Password: DVR factory default

IP: the domain name from dyn dns

Port: 80

After a short time the message “Login procedure failedâ€

everything else seems okay, MTU should stay default but thats not the problem.

In your DVR, make it a static IP or the local IP will be .100+ since the router is set to DHCP.

Setup all the relevant static info in the DVR based on the router's local info, subnet and gateway.

I set the DVR to static & its IP to 1.1 to match my router. Set DVR Gateway the same 1.1. DVR Mask .0. This makes it fail to do a login, either locally or internet.

Changed the only DVR IP back to 1.10. Left Gateway at 1.1. Mask .0. Can log on locally, but not thru the DDNS.

yes the DVR Static IP must be the Ip you are port forwarding to so ..

DVR SETTINGS:

IP = 192.168.1.10

SubNet = 255.255.255.0

Gateway = 192.168.1.1 (this is the Router's IP)

Port = 80

SAVE SETTINGS/APPLY/OK

ROUTER SETTINGS:

IP = 192.168.1.1

Subnet = 255.255.255.0

Applications & Gaming:

Application = DVR

Start = 80

End = 80

Protocol = TCP

IP Address = 192.168.1.10

Enabled = Checked

DMZ can be left disabled

SAVE SETTINGS

Telnet to it using the IP not the DDNS name

Once you know it works with the IP then can worry about the DDNS.

TELNET IP 80

Oops failed to set the at login to the 1.1. Redid it and yes the DVR can still be seen locally on the computer using the 1.1. address. Also can still be seen using Firefox browser using 1.1 as the

But with the DVR IP set at 1.1 it's the same as the router's and causes the router to malfunction loading web pages.

Still can't access the DVR thru the dyn DNS domain name I picked for that account.

1.1 should be the routers IP, which is the Gateway for the DVR, you should change it to what I mentioned above or port forwarding will never work.

Set DVR to 1.10, gateway to 1.1, mask to .0.

Disabled DMZ on the router still at 1.1, .0.

Ran Telnet 1.10 80

The popup window appears, a command line flashes, it then goes all black with the blue title line at the top of the popup saying Telnet & IP I used.

Yes it is working now.

Im a mod so I was able to test your IP and it brings up the browser page also.

So now just need to get the DDNS part working.

Enable DDNS and enter your DDNS account info back in if it was removed, otherwise if that is already setup, then go ahead and telnet to that and the port number, or just enter it in the browser address and see if it works.

I enabled DDNS on the linksys. Settings as follows:

Service: dyndns

user name: as in my dyndns account

password: as in my dyndns account

Host Name: as I picked at dyndns with org at the end

and it has my IP address same as I get with whatsmyip

So I telnet "host name" 80

It waits and finally times out.

If I put the "host name" on the browser address line, it times out.

Does it need w w w or anything else h t t p to make it work?

Does the DVR stay as static IP or do I need to make it DHCP?

When you said it worked for you, could you see my camera views?

Dont change the static IPs etc, all that is good now.

The DDNS thing is totally separate.

I didn't try to login, give me a sec.

Yes it works can see the video.

Ok been a while for me and AvTech, but yes it uses Java now (use to be ActiveX) so it will just work .. FireFox also.

You could also click the button to download the AP then install that and use that instead of the browser.

Rory

as far as DDNS the hostname should just be something like

myname.gotdns.com

it could take some time for it to work after initial setup.

I set the dyndns account up about a week ago.

From the PM looks like you can see the sun has gone down here, outside is dark unless a motion detector light is triggered. So it works for you, but not me.

Wouldn't seem I need to do anything special with my firewall on the computer to view the cameras. Just made my IP and the host name at dyndns as trusted sites to the firewall. Tried accessing my video and still no luck.

Since I'm trying to access the DVR using the same router that's trying to feed the data, could the outgoing and incoming be bumping into each other. Some kind of data/timing conflict?

Seems I should be able to do this all from home to check and confirm operation before travelling. But maybe this is normal operation?

Might be ..

I never use port 80 so that could be conflicting .. normally I use 81 or 82.

Maybe change 80 to 81 in the DVR and the router, then try it.

You would then need to add :81 after the .com

Tried ports 81, 82 and 8080. They all worked with telnet. And they all worked with the DVR address thru the firefox browser with the :port number amended on in local mode.

I run NO SCRIPT on firefox and did need the enable it for each one for Java to operate. As a precaution selected the options on no script and manually typed in the addresses permitting the dyns host name and my IP with scripts.

But they still fail to bring up the dyndns host name website over the internet.

The idea of a data/timing collision problem made me think to try my old flaky D-Link DI524 router; I had replaced with the new "better" Linksys WRT54G a few months ago. After unplugging and replugging and changing its address to match the Linksys, I went to the wormly website and did a self ping and it worked-- with the Dlink; where it would not with the Linksys wrt54g.

So I think the router could well be the root of the problem. But I now run into a problem with the D-Link as far as doing port forwarding. I went to the port forward website and first thing it says for my DI524 is I need a static IP for it to do port forwarding. Somehow I thought the idea of the dynDNS was so I didn't need a static IP.

Is there a work-around for the DI524 so I don't need a static IP? Or at this point may I just better off buying a router that can do what I need?

Was there a post of using the Dlink 524 as I describe? I have gotten used to the Linksys and find myself lost with the dlink menu setup.

If a new better router is called for, any recommendations as to brand & model?