JimWint

Newbie Question on Remote access (WaverReader)

Forgive me if this answer is here somewhere, but I've got a GE DVMRe Triplex unit at my store with 16 cameras. I've got Wavereader software on my pc in my office (much easier to navigate) that's connected via ethernet to the recorder. I'd like to have access to the system at home. I've installed the software on my pc at home, but am unsure about how to set up the address to access it. I have a cable modem at home, and DSL (with a fixed IP) on my pc at my store (as I said, connected via ethernet). Is there somewhere online that can walk me through this? Or someone who can tell me how? THe WaveReader manual is very vague about how this is done. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, rory. I've figured out the router and port forwarding, the only problem I have now is that I can't find the port numbers in the manuals for either the WaveReader software or the DVR. I tried 1024, but it's not working. Any Suggestions? Thanks again.

Its 1024 for the GE DVMRe, StoreSafe, DSR-1000 and DSR-2000.

Not sure if it has changed for the PRO or II units as I have never used them.

Make sure the local IP is set in the DVR as static, along with the Subnet and gateway the same as the Router. Once you port forward 1024-1024, TCP, and to that IP, it should work. Best way to initially test is to Telnet to it from the Command Prompt.

TELNET IP 1024

Note that 1024 will only work in WaveReader, you will encounter issues if you try it in a Web Browser, as then you will need to forward port 80 for HTTP (or change that accordingly).

Rory