Doug

Geo's and Celerons??

My supplier has recently started shipping GV800-16 machines with Celerons instead of P4's, they claim the new Celerons have adequate cache and run a lot cooler than the P4s solving CPU overheating crashes/problems with the compact case machines as well as reducing the prices.

Opinions??

Thanks

Doug

Actually there is a Celeron that my techs call P4 celeron, aparently it does have the extra level of cache, but I do not believe that. I am sure thomas would know, the heating issue would be tru that clerons run cooler, but not by that much and P4's ar hardly hot machines, unless you overclock them to buggery, I could fry and egg on mine easy. Trutrh is adequate cooling should be in the case anyway and I havent heard of too many P4's overheating ion standard conditions, the reason your supplier has done this is to cut costs, bad Idea!!!! it is much cheaper to do Celeron and althought it will run ok on 8000 cards, you will see a drop in perfomance and especially a drop in frame rate.. one rule of thumb with a Geo, ALWAYS scope it high, becuase you will ALWAYS want the new software, personally i would not build a cleron machine at all excepting for 600 series and 650 series DVR's but all that will happen is yopu will record at a lower speed, but upgrading your software will be a BIARCH if not powerfull enough and after getting the Beta for 6.1 and now the OFFICIAL relaase, I would certainly not use a Celeron machine, way under powered for 6.1.

Easiest way to prove my point is to set hte machine to continuous recording then hit CTRL ALT DELTE and have a look at the perfomance section under windows task manager, you wills ee on your machine that the CPU usuage will be at 100%, working it really hard, CPU's are made by speeds and a little know fact is that the speed of your CPU is defined by how well it performed under testing, so a 2 CPU just dint run stable at 2.4 so they backed it down and made it a 2 to sell it, actually I am such a nerd that I overclock and test my CPU's before I choose which one I want for home, because it may well be much more powerfull.

Personally I would not touch the celeron for a 800 system but it will run ok wiht older software and will just slip a few frames, but for the extra cost, hay spend the money, as for building them yourself, now that is another headache entirely.

hope this helps

GC

The celeron is the same basic chip as a P4 but with certain features removed. Celeron's do not support hyperthreading. Celerons also have half the front side cache of a normal P4. The front side cache is the ram that is built onto the chip and it makes a huge performance boost or hit depending on the amount. It's a cheaper chip becuase of this, and it does run a bit cooler, but not so much that it affects very much. We use them for the DVR-60/8 that we build. It's an 8 camera system with 60fps max. Set up that way it doesn't redline the system but you won't be doing more then eight cameras.

There is some confusion about the naming of intel chips so let me try to clear this up a little. P4 is a family of chips. Celerons are a subfamily within the P4 family. Extreme Editions are also a subfamily within the P4 family. So you say it like this to ID the chip:

P4 Celeron 2.4

P4 3.2

P4 Extreme Edition 3.8

The extreme edition chips have twice the front side chache and it shows in thier performance. But it also shows in the cost. Depending on your supplier, your going to pay between 1.3 to 2.5 times the cost of a compartive genric P4.