CCTVINSTALLER

Broadband router problem

Hi,

I've bought a NETGEAR DG834 (4 port) broadband router for a customers geovision system. Trying to allow ports 80, 4550 and 5550 (these are the ports required for to forward to the geo system), but 4550 and 5550 dont seem to appear on the list of firewall rules, below is the list of all the inbound ports.

Any(ALL)

ANy(TCP)(TCP:1,65535)

ANy(UDP)(UDP:1,65535)

AIM(TCP:5190)

BGP(TCP:179)

BOOTP_CLIENT(UDP:68)

BOOTP_SERVER(UDP:67)

CU-SEEME(TCP/UDP:7648,24032)

DNS(TCP/UDP:53)

FINGER(TCP:79)

FTP(TCP:20,21)

H.323(TCP:1720)

-HERES ONE OF THEM, but cant find 4550 and 5550**HTTP:(TCP:80)**

HTTPS(TCP:443)

IDENT(TCP:113)

IRC(TCP/UDP:6667)

NEWS(TCP:144)

NFS(UDP:2049)

NNTP(TCP:119)

RCMD(TCP:512)

REAL-AUDIO(TCP:7070)

REXEC(TCP:514)

RLOGIN(TCP:513)

RTELNET(TCP:107)

RTSP(TCP/UDP:554)

SFTP(TCP:115)

SMTP(TCP:25)

SNMP(TCP/UDP:161)

SNMP-TRAPS(TCP/UDP:162)

SQL-NET(TCP:1521)

SSH(TCP/UDP:22)

STRMWORKS(UDP:1558)

TACACS(UDP:49)

TELNET(TCP:23)

TFTP(UDP:69)

VDOLIVE(TCP:7000)

VPN-IPSEC(UDP:500)

VPN-L2TP(UDP:1701)

VPN-PPTP(TCP:1723)

This problem's been bugging me for ages, first i thought i just needed to see the optician , but still cant see ports 4550 and 5550. when i forward all the ports to the geovision system, the webcam works perfectly, but i dont want to open ports unnecessarily. Thanks for support in advance guys[/img]

I don't recall the Netgear set up off the top of my head but you'll have to add the port to the rules listed there. All of the ports they list are commanly used ones.

Cheers Thomas, done what you said, but i didn't know how to add them, anyway just found out netgear offer 24-7 tech support . So ive manually added the ports, one more thing, what type of ports are 80,4550 and 5550, ive got an option TCP,UDP, or TCP/UDP, does it matter what i select?

Usally for port forwarding you need TCP. UDP alone is not going to work for DVR/ Webservers etc.

Thomas is right, you will need to add the rules first or you could change the DVr to suit the ones you already have, you will also need to forward 6550 and 21 depending on whether you want audio and FTP ability, If your using SP2 make sure to forward these in windows firewall if you allowed it and also turn on active X at the internet explorer options,, oh yeh the ports are TCP..

PM me the I.P when you get it done, woiuld love to take a look.

Hi Guys, Router is working great, a lot more stable. One problem though, the webcam seems to have slowed down a lot from before when i was just using a USB broadband. is this just a consequence with using a router or are there some sort of settings i could adjust?

Thanks for the support in advance, also Thomas, that was a good intro into Networking, you're right seems the CCTV guys like me lack in the networking area, that thread has definitely summed up a few things for me, cheers!

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1048

I've seen problems like what you're discribing and they aren't fun to fix.

1. Network card, is it currently set to half or full duplex?

2. Are the settings like MTU set optimally for your ISP? (Best place to ask that is dslreports.com, they cover most of the contries that have english as a primary language.)

3. Anything else using those ports? IM clients, ect?

4. Any infections?

ermmm...........1.not sure how to adjust half/full duplez settings?

2.??

3. No other ports, just me connecting to the webcam

3. Dont think there's any infections because ive connected 3 systems with the same router and they're all giving problems.

The network card is built in the motherboard (MSI845PE/MSI865PE) Gigabit ethernet. Should that do, or you reckon its worth buying a new network card. Thomas, how would i go about adjusting network card settings or checking for half/full duplex? Could it be a router setting?

The half/full duplex settings are in windows networking settings. Um, three of them doing it is more of a proof then a disproof. I'd stay with the same networking card.